How long will bacteria last with my filter off

Ryuki
HI all,
I have my new corner 55 gallon tank setup. Not fully cycled yet. I have decided rather late to change my substrate. So I'm gonna pick a time and empty half the water into a drum and keep it airated to put back after the job is done. I won't be able to connect my canister filter to it cause it's going to be at the same height as the drum.

I suppose turning it off for a few hours won't hurt right? I mean the cycle hasn't even got to producing nitrates yet. Filter has only been running for a couple of weeks.

I guess another option would be to take the media out of the canister and drop it into a 10gal tank I have? Would probably dirty it up a bit but there are no fish in it so no harm done.

Asomeone
There are plenty of people who have said they suffered power outages or kept filters off for up to 24 hours with small effects. So I guess it comes down to what does a "few hours" mean. Since you're cycling I think its more of a risky situation.
I fail to understand why you wouldnt be able to connect the cannister to something the same height as it. Canisters will operate at same level or even a higher level since they have a pump pulling and pushing water out. As long as you can get it started....which may require the drum level to be higher than the canister level it should continue operation.
Either way it should be fine for a couple of hours....in reality for a seasoned and cycled filter you wouldnt see massive decrease in bacteria population for, and I say this with asterisks, at least 6 hours.

Ryuki
Olk I'll try to run the filter with the drum at same level. It was only that the instructions said it had to be 4ft below the tank and if course I believe them, lol. I'll give it a crack. Thank goodness I got and adjustable flow rate so it won't spray water all over the place

Morpheus1967
You will be fine leaving it while you change substrate.

qquake2k
Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate are you changing from and to?

Ryuki
Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate are you changing from and to?
Going to change to Black Flourite or Black Florite Sand. The stuff I've got in there now is too big and I know my plants are not gonna like it. The plants I have are all bunched in a 10 gal with some cheap Imagitarium gravel ground down to almost sand size and they are flourishing.

Its kinda funny. That 10 gallon tank is the most stable tank I've ever had. Full of plants along with 5 Glowlight tetras and the water is perfect every time I test it. Still do 5 gal water change once a week though just to replace the minerals.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Donthemon
Replies
Views
Brizburk
Replies
Views