20 Gallon Tank How Long Will Aragonite Take To Raise Ph?

MelloKitty711

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was told that the reason my 20 gallon tank won't cycle is because of how low my ph is. Out of the faucet its 7.6, in the tank it plummets to 6.0 or below. So I ordered some aragonite and put it in the filter today. The filter would only hold about a pound or so, there wasn't a whole lot of room for it.

Just wanted to know when I could expect the ph to start rising and if I'm doing this right.

Loetje

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
MelloKitty711 said:
I was told that the reason my 20 gallon tank won't cycle is because of how low my ph is. Out of the faucet its 7.6, in the tank it plummets to 6.0 or below. So I ordered some aragonite and put it in the filter today. The filter would only hold about a pound or so, there wasn't a whole lot of room for it.

Just wanted to know when I could expect the ph to start rising and if I'm doing this right.
Be patient. It'll work.
The speed of dissolution is virtually impossible to calculate. It depends on temperature, flow, surface area, pH..
Maybe someone with experience can give you a raw guestimate..

Good luck!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should be able to see a noticeable change after 24 hours, but it could take a little more than a week to get it all the way back up to ~7.6

New Threads