How Long Will A Tank Stay Cycled Without Fish?

katiemarie

Reaction score
HI everyone!

I'm currently at college and I have a betta fish and 2 snails, so I'm trying to plan ahead for what to do with them over my Christmas break. I was thinking about setting up a different tank at my house when I go home this weekend and having my sister "feed" it so it will cycle by the time I go home for Christmas and then I could just bring the betta and snails with me and have them in that tank which would be easier than transporting the whole tank I have with me at college because it is kind of a far drive.

My question then is: will the tank at college stay cycled if there is no one here to feed it/no fish in it? Or will be bacteria die? My roommates and I will all be gone for almost 3 weeks in total.

Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but the tank is a 2.6 gallon fluval spec with a heater and the filter that comes built into the tank. It's been set up here for about 3 - 4 months now.

Thanks!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It won't last 3 weeks. But if you take the filter media with you both ways, then both tanks are cycled. No need to have anyone feeding the tanks. Fish food isn't the best source of ammonia anyway. Its more messy.

I suggest taking all of the media out of the filter when you go back home. Keep in wet in some kind of container. Put the media into the filter of the tank at home and add the fish. Then when its time to go back to college, keep the filter media wet in a container again and put it into the tank waiting back at college. Its only the filter media and the fish that need transporting. Not the whole tank.

OP
K

katiemarie

Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
It won't last 3 weeks. But if you take the filter media with you both ways, then both tanks are cycled. No need to have anyone feeding the tanks. Fish food isn't the best source of ammonia anyway. Its more messy.

I suggest taking all of the media out of the filter when you go back home. Keep in wet in some kind of container. Put the media into the filter of the tank at home and add the fish. Then when its time to go back to college, keep the filter media wet in a container again and put it into the tank waiting back at college. Its only the filter media and the fish that need transporting. Not the whole tank.
Oh yeah that's a good idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that to be honest. Thanks!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom