How long will a 12oz tank of co2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by anunez91, Mar 30, 2010.

1. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

last on a tank? If it were set to the "recommended" bubble count? just curious cause i found my old paintball gun and it has a 12oz co2 canister and i was thinking about getting one of those simlpe regulators without the solenoid valves, would it be worth it over the diy co2 im currently using?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Depends what size tank & exactly what the bubble rate is. I wouldn't bother with a paintball canister on anything bigger than 10gal. If you do try it make sure you get the needle valve & regulator so that you have precise control over the amount of co2 you are releasing & avoid co2 dump when getting near the end of the co2 bottle.

3. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

I did my homework man and sadly when you add it all up... Its just a tad cheaper for a system that will last 1/2 as long as a real system... you could just bridge the gap and get a cheap CO2 system if you plan on doing that.

4. OP
    OP
    a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

ahhh, i see, i was just curious cause it was lying around, thanks for the replies though!!!! ive seen someone sell of their co2 systems for darn cheap off craigslist before, if i ever feel the need for a full blown system, ill just wait till i find a steal, haha, thanks again folks!!!

oh, and it was for my planted 29 gallon, i remember reading somewhere that the recommended bubble count was like three a second or something, is this correct?

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

2-3 bubbles per second is normal but what rate you need to use really depends on several other factors as well. Mainly how effective a diffuser you are using as well as how much surface disturbance there is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice