How Long Until I Can Get A Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Brenden, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Brenden

BrendenValued MemberMember

So I know that in standard, cycling takes quite some time.

However I'm kind of in a situation where I am attached to this beautiful white, red, and blue Betta at my local store.

It looks clearly stressed being in a cup. It is far too big to STILL be in a cup. Chances are it's $20 price tag is scaring away families getting him instead of the cheaper bettas.

I was so saddened watching it look at me, almost "signalling" for me to get it, that I was in the tank section about to buy a 5 gallon. I had to stop myself and go "wait a minute".

I left without getting a 5 gallon tank.

I want to know, how soon do ya'll think I can get away with getting the betta? Obviously planning on testing water, getting plants to help with the environment of the tank, so on...so on.

Not going to plop him in until the tank is top notch.

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

I mean do you have anyone who can take it if you do end up getting it? I would not suggest cycling with Betta because almost every Betta is sick on this forum (No Offense). Or if you have another tank just use a divider for a bit.

3. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Unfortunately not. I have friends with tanks, but they are all fully set up tanks with no room.

I don't plan on cycling with the Betta in, that just seems like a good way to kill my betta.

I have my 10 gallon currently, but it's a community tank that is pretty full rn. Don't want to overdo it...

I'm trying to mentally accept that i'm likely not getting Turquoise :(

4. NC122606

Are you sure about them having no room? I am sure they would have some room with a divider. :)

5. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I know it is frowned upon here in the forum but doing a fish in cycle with your betta is totally doable and if done right the little guy will never be in danger.

As long as you have both the time and the willingness to do lots and lots of water changes it won't be a problem even if the tank never cycles (but it will). A cycled tank is more for us than it is for them. Once cycled we don't have to do water changes as often. With just one little guy in a 5 gallon tank it may be safe to do them every 3rd day until the tank is cycled and then once a week after that.

If you really want this little guy he would have a much better chance of staying healthy in a well taken care of uncycled tank than he is in the tiny cup they keep them in.

As always, just my humble opinion. :).

6. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Eh...the tank has a guppy and 2 ADFS. I mean it's not that there isn't room, I just feel like it's forcing the creatures currently in the tank to give up some of their space and I ideally don't want to sacrifice the happiness of what I already have in order to get something new...

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

You could always get a new tank and then transfer some media from your current one as an instant cycle...

8. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Yeah I know it's a possibility, it's just one of those things where I'm worried about the health of the betta first and foremost.

I also do not like any of the tanks my petstore was selling. Bunch of overpriced tanks versus what I could get on Amazon. Considering getting a good quality 5 gallon off Amazon and letting it cycle. My thinking is, the fish will likely still be there.

I may do a fish-in cycle, but I want to make sure there is at the least, no ammonia, no nitrites. Biggest concern.

9. OP
    OP
    Brenden

I don't know why I didn't think of that...

10. NC122606

I totally forgot that your tank was cycled... I thought you said you were cycling. LOL
    Well there you go.

11. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Yeah I have a completely cycled 10 gallon.

Totally forgot I could transfer media :D

12. NC122606

Good, make sure you only take no more than 1/3.

13. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I did too. I didn't even think about the fact you already have a cycled tank. When you get your new tank just set it up, move some of the media from your cycled tank and feed it ammonia. It should speed the cycling process down to just a few days instead of a few weeks.

Go ahead and put some extra media in the cycled tank now. That way you will should have more than enough media to move some and have plenty left in the 10 gallon. A Sponge filter is perfect for this.