How long until fry show color?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I caught about 10 fry in my tank the other day and threw em in a breeder that floats in the tank. How long until these guys start to show color and can be released back into population? Is it going to take days, weeks, months? Also, there are a few molly fry in the breeder as well, are they going to be ok together?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had mollies and guppies together, they should be fine!

My guppies are about 3 months now and their colour is just peeping through! Although I had some before that showed colour after about 2 months. From what I've seen, it depends on the fish...

Maybe someone that has raised more than only 4 guppy batches can help more though lol!!

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
mine are about 6 weeks old and are showing the yellow on their tail like the mother has so i guess it does depend on the fish and the colors coming out...

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a few that are 2 1/2 months and the males are finally starting to show all of their colors. They started out as half black, then started showing some blue on the back half, then the fins started showing a bright yellow, and in the past few days have shifted into some oranges and reds. The body is dark blue.

Dcoa

Oh congrats on the fry!!
I have 18 guppy fry that are only 5 days old that already have black and some flashes of blue. From what im reading....it depends on the fish!

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Usually it takes at least a month but it does depend on your pair. I've raised many batches of guppys and they all grow up at different speeds. The mollys should be fine with the gups

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IME, a few weeks after birth, they will show black and after about a month, yellow/orange (if its present in their parents), but their full colors wont start to show untill they are about 3 months old, and it wont fully develop till they are about a year old

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads