How Long Until Driftwood Stops Lowering pH?

• Thread starter ValkyrieLips
  • Start date

ValkyrieLips

Well Known
Here's the scoop, I have a piece of mopani driftwood in a 5 gallon and it's been in there almost 2 weeks. I was just wondering how long until it stops lowering my pH and holds steady? I ask because I'm trying to lower it naturally, and if the driftwood doesn't lower it enough I have some peat on standby I can use. Not sure if you need this information but current parameters are: pH 7.2, gH 8, kH 6.

PeteStevers

Well Known
Not sure I'm entirely understanding your question. Are you trying to get your pH lower than 7.2? Has it bottomed out or still going down due to the driftwood?

ValkyrieLips

Well Known
PeteStevers said:
Not sure I'm entirely understanding your question. Are you trying to get your pH lower than 7.2? Has it bottomed out or still going down due to the driftwood?
Yes, I would like to lower my pH further, but I don't want to add anything if my driftwood isn't done lowering it yet, if that makes sense?

By "bottomed out" do you mean the point where the driftwood no longer lowers the pH?

Mazeus

Well Known
I used to use peat and mopani to lower my ph. I would only really shift it by 0.4. Do you absolutely need low ph water? If yes, then distilled water or RO water would be a better starting point.

Sorg67

Well Known
My GH and KH are similar to yours and I have found that driftwood does nothing to my pH. However, my pH is higher than yours - around 8.0.

PeteStevers

Well Known
Yeah, I was wondering why you were trying to get that low of pH?

ValkyrieLips

Well Known
PeteStevers said:
Yeah, I was wondering why you were trying to get that low of pH?
I'm creating a blackwater aquarium.

Sorg67 said:
My GH and KH are similar to yours and I have found that driftwood does nothing to my pH. However, my pH is higher than yours - around 8.0.
I'm thinking it probably affects my pH because my tank is so small and I have other botanicals decomposing in it too.

ValkyrieLips

Well Known
Mazeus said:
I used to use peat and mopani to lower my ph. I would only really shift it by 0.4. Do you absolutely need low ph water? If yes, then distilled water or RO water would be a better starting point.
That's what I'm using too, I just don't want to add peat until I see how much the mopani will lower it on it's own since it's such a small tank. What I'm trying to find out is how long it typically takes for mopani to stop lowering the pH.

No, I don't need it, but I want to create a blackwater aquarium for my betta. :)

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Give it another week. If nothing happens it's time for the peat. And cutting with distilled water 50:50 might then do the trick.

Sorg67

Well Known
ValkyrieLips said:
I'm thinking it probably affects my pH because my tank is so small and I have other botanicals decomposing in it too.
That seems plausible

Top Bottom