How Long To Wait?

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am setting up my new 55g tank soon. I have a healthy and cycled 20g tank. I am going to put some of the filter media into the HOB filter with a filter pad. I was wondering how long the BB can go without any ammonia in the tank or if I would have to add fish the same time I add the BB?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its a week before your bacteria start going dormant then a month till they start to die off. At 3 months few were still alive in their dormant state. So plenty of time to get fish. And the bacteria self replicate every 7-14 hours depending on temperature.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its a week before your bacteria start going dormant then a month till they start to die off. At 3 months few were still alive in their dormant state. So plenty of time to get fish. And the bacteria self replicate every 7-14 hours depending on temperature.
The temp will be around 80-84 without a heater. I was wanting the sand to settle before turning the filter on and getting fish. Thank you

OhDaniGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goodness, I was way wrong! Thank you for the correction.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've actually heard it can go weeks or months and doesn't die quickly. I still don't ever risk it and put some pure ammonia in the tank if it needs to be empty for more than a day.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've actually heard it can go weeks or months and doesn't die quickly. I still don't ever risk it and put some pure ammonia in the tank if it needs to be empty for more than a day.
I think I am going to add some fish either today or tomorrow to help feed it.
Just out of curiosity, how is your temp that high without a heater? Is it getting that hot just from the filter?
I use water from my hose which comes out at around 78F, but my room temp is 82F. I live in the desert so its now over 100F everyday here, and at nights it only gets to 85-90F. Arizona weather for ya, haha.

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use water from my hose which comes out at around 78F, but my room temp is 82F. I live in the desert so its now over 100F everyday here, and at nights it only gets to 85-90F. Arizona weather for ya, haha.
Ha, that sounds absolutely awful. I'll remember that when I complain that my office gets up to 78 in the summer.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha, it’s not too bad I have also lived here my entire life haha. I also think weather below 75 is cold.
Ha, that sounds absolutely awful. I'll remember that when I complain that my office gets up to 78 in the summer.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.3%

Top Bottom