How long to wait to use fungicide after treating with metro?

1. djmcfarl Initiate Member

Hi, everyone! One of our angels has been in the hospital tank for about ten days now. The first few days I was using Epsom salts to treat him for pop eye.That wasn't working very well, so I put metro (API General Cure) in the water. That cleared up the pop eye really well, but as I've watched him in the tank I've noticed some fuzzy white spots on him that I think are fungus. I don't know if maybe it developed when his immune system was weakened by the pop eye? Anyway, I want to treat it with a fungicide, but I don't know how long I should wait to do it; I'm really new to this, and I don't want to overwhelm his system with too much medication. Following the General Cure directions, I gave him his first dose last Thursday night, the second on Saturday night, and then last night did a 25% pwc and changed the filter in his tank. How long should I wait to use the fungicide? Or does anyone have other recommendations? BTW, the angel is from a 55 gal community tank, and none of the other fish seem to be affected. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. tfreema Well Known Member Member

The main thing he needs is pristine water. I would suggest a large water change before introducing any additional medications.

I do not have any experience with fungal infections. Hopefully someone will chime in soon for you.

I am currently dealing with an angel with bloat so I know how frustrating this is for you. I hope your guy is on the mend quickly.

4. djmcfarl Initiate Member

Thanks for you input! How large a water change would you suggest?

5. tfreema Well Known Member Member

At least 50%. I would actually go 70%, but some may consider that extreme. Also, make sure all fish waste is removed from the substrate and filter housing and media by cleaning in tank water. If there are any decorations that need cleaning, pull out to bucket with tank water and wipe down. I even use a scrub brush sometimes. Just not too zealously wiping out the beneficial bacteria which is mostly in the filter and media.

6. djmcfarl Initiate Member

I'll go for the 70%. Since it's a hospital tank it'll be easy to clean! I'll see what's going on in another week or so. Thanks again!