How long to wait before reintroducing my snails

Convoluted77

Hi guys.I recently removed my nerites and successfully treated a tank with no-planaria(not a big outbreak but my fish weren't interested in eating them and I have a lot of shrimps as well).Anyone have recommendations of how to safely reintroduce my nerites back in the tank?.I know I'm not ready yet as it's been less than a week since last treatment and only 1 water change so far.I am temporarily running some carbon and purigen but I'm not sure if these help remove the active ingredient(Betel nut palm extract).As a side note the no-planaria worked awesome and didnt seem to bother any fish or shrimp at all.My nerites are playing Molly maid in another tank so I'm not in a rush.Just curious if anyone has any tips.Thanks!

richiep

With carbon and purigen running after 2or3 good water changes it should be safe, just keep the container they're in incase so you can move them back but generally the water changes should have thin things out enough

Upvote 0

Convoluted77

With carbon and purigen running after 2or3 good water changes it should be safe, just keep the container they're in incase so you can move them back but generally the water changes should have thin things out enough
Thanks a bunch.They are in another permanent quarantine tank that's filled with algae and random cull shrimps so they are having a good time.Ill start moving them back after next weeks water change.

Upvote 0

richiep

If theres a problem they will react straight away, having the other tank is a bonus so you can move them straight back, the other thing to look for is snails in bad water will desperately try to escape telling you something is wrong

Upvote 0

EAWT

Sorry to hop on to an old post, but how did it go Convoluted77 ?? How long did it take for your nerites to return safely?

I've just done my final treatment of no planaria to treat for hydra (1 scoop day 1, 0.5 scoop day 2 and 0.25 scoop day 3 - I have a 60L, but assumed about 50L water...). It worked really well from what I can tell - all looked dead after 1 day and so far my plants, fish and shrimp look unaffected. Also seemingly unaffected are the baby pond snails and miniature ramshorn snails that I didn't remove... I'm also hoping it'll treat the scutariella japonica that I saw on one or two of my shrimp... so far I can't see any but half of my shrimp seem to be hiding at any one time, so we'll see. I'll keep removing moults in the mean time.

My two nerites are currently in a quarantine tank, which is fine, but not ideal as it isn't as nicely established as yours sounds (it's an old tank I just re-set up a month before treatment in anticipation of needing to move them out). I'm feeding them but would be good to put them back in the main tank as soon as it's safe. I plan to do a 25-50% water change tomorrow (24 hours after third treatment), put the carbon back in the filter and add purigen. I'll then go back to my 15-25% water changes weekly after that.

Upvote 0

RayClem

I would suggest using a fresh batch of activated and carbon and/or purigen to remove any residual medication from the tank. After a couple of days, discard the carbon to make sure none of the medication leaches back into the water.

Upvote 0

EAWT

Thanks RayClem. I'll do a couple water changes then put the Purigen in for a week. Then another water change before putting the carbon from the filter back in. Hopefully that will be enough!

Upvote 0

Convoluted77

Sorry to hop on to an old post, but how did it go Convoluted77 ?? How long did it take for your nerites to return safely?

I've just done my final treatment of no planaria to treat for hydra (1 scoop day 1, 0.5 scoop day 2 and 0.25 scoop day 3 - I have a 60L, but assumed about 50L water...). It worked really well from what I can tell - all looked dead after 1 day and so far my plants, fish and shrimp look unaffected. Also seemingly unaffected are the baby pond snails and miniature ramshorn snails that I didn't remove... I'm also hoping it'll treat the scutariella japonica that I saw on one or two of my shrimp... so far I can't see any but half of my shrimp seem to be hiding at any one time, so we'll see. I'll keep removing moults in the mean time.

My two nerites are currently in a quarantine tank, which is fine, but not ideal as it isn't as nicely established as yours sounds (it's an old tank I just re-set up a month before treatment in anticipation of needing to move them out). I'm feeding them but would be good to put them back in the main tank as soon as it's safe. I plan to do a 25-50% water change tomorrow (24 hours after third treatment), put the carbon back in the filter and add purigen. I'll then go back to my 15-25% water changes weekly after that.
Sorry for the late reply.It did take me about 4 weeks or so to be honest but partly because I only do 15-20% water changes weekly so it took extra time to turn my full volume of water over.I did run purigen the whole time and attempted to reintroduce a couple of my snails after two weeks but they went straight to snail heaven.Im sure larger or more frequent water changes would have sped up the process.

Upvote 0

EAWT

Very helpful - thanks Convoluted77. I did an initial 40-50% water change which I'm regretting now as one of my cherries just died... but I'm going to leave it as is for a week then do a series of smaller weekly changes (15% or so). Fingers crossed no more deaths and the nerites can get back to their tank in a month or so.

On a side note, since doing the no planaria treatment, I've noticed loads of little freshwater limpets. They must have been there before but I never noticed them. They seem to be thriving.. perhaps more food available with the hydra gone?

On a positive note though, I've also noticed my cherries (other than the dead one...) have become more active since treatment ended compared to before treatment. I guess the hydra were stressing them out even though I didnt see that many of them. Glad they are gone now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pashience
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question