How Long To Treat For Ich?

gracerig

Reaction score
A week ago, I brought home a female betta that was entirely covered in white spots. I moved her from her petstore cup into in a 5 gal cycled, heated tank. I treated her with 0.05ppm malachite green and added 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water. As of two days ago, she was free of spots and has been showing all the signs of a healthy, happy betta.

I've been doing 50% water changes/vacuuming the substrate and dosing the tank with Marineland Ick Remedy every 48 hours. The temperature is at 80°F. How long should I keep up with the water changes and medication to be sure that the ich won't come back?

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good job for saving her! I used the same stuff that dyes your water blue! It worked great within a week on my guppys and then again on my female bettas as well. For my guppys it took a week. For my female bettas it took 2days. Id keep it going for a week to make its gone. Dont use the medicine but do 25% water changes.

Adriana N

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do it until I do not see any more ick. I personally would not keep treating her longer than two weeks if you physically see the ick. If she does not have anymore, you can stop the process there, or continue for about 2 more day to be safe.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Adriana N said:
I do it until I do not see any more ick. I personally would not keep treating her longer than two weeks if you physically see the ick. If she does not have anymore, you can stop the process there, or continue for about 2 more day to be safe.
Id do it for 2 more days if you dont see it on the fish because they can still be around.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom