How Long To Seed Media

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by flyin-lowe, Aug 20, 2019.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    2 years
    i am going to start my 125 g tank back up. I have a 10 gallon that has been running for years. I’ve got two bags of ceramic rings from my new filter that have been in the 10g for over three weeks. My plan is to use the filter media that is in the 10g as well as the ceramic rings that are in the 10g. I will only be starting the 125 g with a few small native fish. Also I plan to have some low tech plants in as well. I am assuming that a month in the 10 g is enough time to get BB on the ceramic rings. I’m hoping that the rings, the filter media, and live plants will be enough to handle four or five natives that are only a couple inches each. I will also have some safe start on hand to help boost things if I need too. The 10 gallon does not have a huge bio load. Thoughts on my plans??

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    Looks like you're doing it all right, this should work without any hiccups.

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,687
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No matter how much media you have in the 10 gallon tank there will only be enough bacteria on the media to handle the bio-load of the fish in the tank.

A month should be plenty of time to have the media seeded with as much bacteria as it is going to grow. As long as the bio-load of the bigger tank is the same or less than the bio-load of the 10 gallon tank there should be enough bacteria to almost instantly cycle the bigger tank.

If the bio-load is going to start out higher in the 125 than it is in the 10 the media will help but you will still experience at least a mini-cycle.

4. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,745
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree with @mattgirl. When I switched from 55g to my 125g there was a mini cycle that lasted a few days. The ammonia wasn't too toxic but it was an adjustment period that happened.

5. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What native fish? Channel catfish have a bigger bioload than golden trout (for instance lol!)

6. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +750
    Experience:
    4 years
    What do you mean by native fish?

Like everyone else said, transferring the media from your 10G will instantly cycle your tank, but only if you stock it the same as your 10G. If you add enough fish to fully stock your 125G, you'll still have to cycle the tank. It will go a lot faster though since there's already a healthy colony of bacteria on the 10G's media.

7. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    2 years
    I will be putting in a couple bluegill a perch or two and one or two other sunfish. The ones I am getting are only a couple inches, not big yet at all. I will be looking for a bulkhead catfish but probably not until next spring on that. So 6-8 fish that are very young. There is a local fish farm nearby that stocks ponds and they have almost everything I am interested I there, minus the bulkhead.

8. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    Bluegills can be quite messy, might I suggest you start seeding a sponge filter too before you start stocking?

9. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Those are going to be big bio-loaders! I suggest getting some pure ammonia, switch the media over and start feeding the tank to at least 2ppm of ammonia to make sure it's cycled before putting them in there. Here's an ammonia calculator that takes the "brain pain" out of figuring out the dosage:
    http://spec-tanks.com/ammonia-calculator-aquariums/
    I LOVE bluegill in a tank, but they are one mean little fish! Post pictures when you get them in there! K?