how long to quarantine?

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by midthought, Apr 15, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Hello all. I was thinking of adding a dwarf gourami to my 29g tank in a few weeks. I have been warned (in a good way ;D) about the health of DGs and I'm wary of the possibility of iridovirus because I keep 2 bettas (albeit in another tank). I'm wondering how long people recommend I quarantine a DG before introducing him to my main tank? I assume longer than a "normal" quarantine period, but 2 weeks? 4? 6?

And I hope this is related enough, but if a DG I bring home *does* have iridovirus and he eventually goes, would I be able to sterilize the gear I use for his quarantine tank?

:;thx

2. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I think the average suggestion is 2 weeks. But some members do it for a month. I like 2-3 weeks personally.

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi midthought, I'd go for 2-3 weeks. However, DGD may not show up for a couple of months. Making your sure don't cross contaminate would be your best bet after Q time.
    Everything separate or sterilized between tanks.

I had been advised that sterilizing wouldn't help and that the tank wouldn't be safe to use for another DG for about 6 months.

Why not look into the Thick Lipped or Banded Gourami. They get a little bigger, don't get DGD and are supposed to be hardier.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The last DG I had I quarantined for 2 months, and it still got sick and died.

5. OP
    OP
    midthought

Oh that's terrible. :( Quarantining doesn't even sound that helpful then, at least for DG disease.

They're just harder to find, I think...last time I asked about a thick lipped gourami, the LFS employee looked at me like I had five ears. :;dk He even had me spell it out. But I will look for these instead, thanks.

6. Lucy

Mine was a lucky find, I have to say. I'd been keeping my eye out for them for a while.
    You might be able to find a Honey Gourami (Colisa chuna). They don't get DGD, but from what I read they can be pretty sensitive to water conditions and bacterial infections.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  7. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I went to an aquarium club meeting on Sunday, and the speaker there was an anabantoid expert. It was a fascinating presentation (learned a ton about wild Bettas!). When he got to the part of the presentation about DGs, he mentioned their dismal survival rate... but rather than chalking it up to DGD, his opinion was that most DGs come in with flukes that must be treated with praziquantel (PraziPro) if the fish is to survive. He wasn't saying that DGD doesn't exist or anything, but described the exact symptoms and manner of death that we always attribute to DGD, and mentioned a great success rate with the Prazi.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to have an opinion of my own, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Prazi is expensive, but IMO it might be worth a shot to treat while the fish is in QT. I do not normally advocate tossing meds into a tank before the onset of symptoms, but this speaker REALLY knows anabantoids and if I were getting a DG, I'd be inclined to give it a shot and see what happens. :)

8. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I recommend QT for at least 3 weeks. If you have any suspicious during that time that he may be ill then I would suggest another week.

One thing to remember about QT is that the goal is to prevent exposing the main tank to the new fish. However it's possible that your tank may have "something" in it that your fish have developed immunity against and the new fish hasn't. I'd recommend moving something from your main tank into the QT tank during the QT period to help the new fish develop it's immune system as well before entering the main tank. A cheap easily sterilized decoration or even use established media from your main tank to insta-cycle the QT would work.

:;nin2WOW DOUBLE NINJA'D!!:;nin2

9. Lucy

I would have loved to hear that presentation, it sounds so interesting!
    I also think that some DG deaths are bacterial infections, not necessarily DGD but that's just my opinion.

I'm with you on not medicating before symptoms but it might be worth trying.

Anyway, great info!

10. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

The presentation was GREAT Lucy, you would have loved it!

Also, I wanted to add that I would be more skeptical of pre-emptively treating with PraziPro if I hadn't used it in the past. I treated some discus with it, and although I know meds are often stressful to fish, I could see the discus start to feel better and "perk up" within a day. My bio filter wasn't affected and my fish did great with it. I treated a 55 gallon display.

11. OP
    OP
    midthought

Oh hm, my local LFSes definitely do get DGs, as I see them a lot...I just obviously don't know if they'll survive 3 months after coming home. They look good in the store though...so far I think my water parameters are good. I have a GBR, and they're supposed to be sensitive to the water as well, and she's doing just fine. She's colored up beautifully and I want to get her a mate. ;)

Hmm good idea. I was going to probably use the fake plants from my betta tank for seeding the QT tank, but it makes more sense to seed from the 29g community tank if that's where the fish is going to wind up going anyway.

I'm also considering joining a local fish society and seeing if I can get a hold of breeders through them. There are two well established ones in Brooklyn and Queens. Hopefully local breeders would have much better rates than spinning the wheel at the LFS?

I feel vaguely like chucking the whole idea of DGs and other gouramis and seeing if a single female betta would get along with my rummies and GBR. >.> I will do some research and make a post in the betta forum about it though.

Thank you everyone for your input. :;hug2

12. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You can try out a betta, as long as you have a backup plan.

13. mattmc12New MemberMember

i "quarintined" my DG's for about 2 weeks, then they were fine, died about 5 years later of natural causes, but i guess i just got lucky and picked good ones. When in quarintine, just give up 20 minutes of your day to watch them,and you can see any problems, or if they have the right "personality" for your tank. Every DG has its own personality, some are shy, others are playful, while others are aggresive. If you just watch your fish, you can sense if they are going to be trouble in your tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice