How long to quarantine new plants for pest snails?

Toothless17

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just bought a new plant last Friday from my LFS, it's been quarantined in a small clear pail.
I don't want pest snails!
How long should I quarantine it for?

OP
Toothless17

Toothless17

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks James. I see no sign of any (knock-on-wood!!) and it's been 7 days today.

JamesVader

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Should be fine just make sure to rinse it, just in case before you add to your aquarium

OP
Toothless17

Toothless17

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, thanks so much James!

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a moment I thought we were talking about driftwood and I was going to say boil it. Lol NEVER boil plants, It'll kill them. Silly me. :hilarious:

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A few drops of “ Snail rid “ will kill the snails in a few hours.( copper sulphate) Probably the eggs would need a second dose when they hatch?
Don’t listen to anyone that says copper sulphate stays in your tank forever. That is just not true. Besides you have the plants in a bucket.

Only the large pest snails are not welcome in my little tanks ,as I believe they just look to big. All the small best snails do more good than harm .IMO.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flyfisha said:
Only the large pest snails are not welcome in my little tanks ,as I believe they just look to big. All the small best snails do more good than harm .IMO.
Haha Im the opposite on that. I don't mind the bigger snails like Ramshorn and MTS I don't like those teeny bladder/ pond snails.

OP
Toothless17

Toothless17

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mike1995 said:
Why do you not want the snails? They're actually quite beneficial.
Because they reproduce like crazy & will take over the tank in next to no time. I went through that with my first tank, it was AWFUL.
Plus, I already have my nerite snails in my tanks, and those are the only snails I want.

OP
Toothless17

Toothless17

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Flyfisha said:
A few drops of “ Snail rid “ will kill the snails in a few hours.( copper sulphate) Probably the eggs would need a second dose when they hatch?
Don’t listen to anyone that says copper sulphate stays in your tank forever. That is just not true. Besides you have the plants in a bucket.

I have nerites in the tank this plant is headed to. I’d worry about not getting all the copper off the plants. How long before it’s rinsed off the plant?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Toothless17 said:
Because they reproduce like crazy & will take over the tank in next to no time. I went through that with my first tank, it was AWFUL.
Plus, I already have my nerite snails in my tanks, and those are the only snails I want.
If you keep feeding under control and water changes over time they die off. At least that's what I've experienced.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would skip the copper if you’re worried about the inverts you already have. I think if there were pest snail eggs they would have hatched already. You can always rinse off the plant in the sink and gently rub it with your fingers for any “booger” spots that might be clumps of eggs.

With that said, I dosed cooper once in my display tank (I can’t remember what I was treating). I did a ton of water changes and used cuprisorb for a bit. After that I had snails and shrimp in that tank for 10 years. So like Flyfisha said it’s won’t be at toxic levels forever.

I hear you on not wanting pest snails. I like the idea of them in theory. But when I was a kid I had pond/bladder snails jam up the impeller in my filter. Easy enough to clear out but it would have sucked if I was out of town and that happened. Every time I consider adding something like MTS I remind myself of that lol.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have Australian nerites in a tank I once treated with copper sulphate. They were very very expensive snails my wife wanted. I did only water changes for a few months.Same pot plants that were never removed. After 3 months the pest snails found there way back into the tank . Cherry shrimp are in the tank now . I don’t remember adding them but must have at some stage. Anyway the nerites we’re added well after the 3 months and are still alive.

The Australian ( Queensland) nerites lay eggs all over the glass all the time . That’s a true pest snail if you ask me.

I run sponge filters now so have no moving parts. But I can remember snails in impellers , used to happen more often if you ever turned a filter off for any reason.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Nerites favorite thing right now is laying eggs all the way up every stem in my tank....Yeah its kind of annoying to say the least. My driftwood is covered also.

New Threads