How long to QT for??

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so I am treating a couple of sick fish in my main tank and they seem to be turning around, I had lost three of my five due to introducing a sick fish to my main tank without proper qt like I know I shuld have.

I now have a clean 14 gallon with heater and HOB, I was wondering a couple of things one can I use some of the BIO media from my canister fitler that runs on my main tank to seed it or cycle it?
How long should I qt my new discus before I would introduce him into the main tank? (after it has been treaed and everything is cool again)
can I fill the 14 gallon with some of the water from 30 gallon? which is well established and no known issues with it?
and I was told to use some aqurium salt to add to my main 55 gallon discus tank to help with the treatment I am treating with QC for some skin issues and the aqurium lights are off I am in the 2nd day of treatment?
I thought salt for discus was bad, but was told by anotehr member on Simply to use one tsp per gallon to help with the treatment?
I know its a lot of questions and I have it all under one thread but I can't help it after this hopefully I will be better off
I shuld have qt like I knew I was suppose to I was just so imptient and wanted to see them altogether that I just skiped it what a dumb costly mistake not only the money which hurts but loosing my fish I was so proud of patting my self on the back doing a good job I thought and boom one sick fish wiped out three of my five and I hope I can save the last two and do things rite this time.
I know there is a learning curve in any hobby but I knew i shulda qt and I never did before and never had an issue untill now I guess I learned the hard way.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't quarantine my fish, but yes, use water from your tank....less shock at first.

If you are not treating them with any meds just give them 2 weeks and watch for problems.

Quarantine at least 2 weeks with treatment. Follow instructions on whatever you are using to treat with. If it says for a week, then start water changes after the week and monitor the fish regularily.

Salt is an issue, not recommended here, do not use as a general tonic. I do believe it has it's purpose as a last resort treatment for some ailments, but rather than dredge that up again....just don't use it now.

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Most Discus peeps QT for 6 weeks

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
6 weeks huh, well I was thinking more like 3 or 4 but if you really think 6 is required than I can do that. The one issue I have with such a long qt period is the fish is all by him/her self and I know they like to e in groups, you do not think there will be any short or long term negitive affects by such a long qt period being alone do you? I do have one empt up side down pot like those used for breeding in there with him for him to kind of hide behind, I have a solid blue towel wraped around the side and back of the tank in order to make him/her feel more safe. Nut yet still he is all alone in ther nd I just don't want this to lead to a stuntded growth or anything.

oh and how large and how often to do water changes? I am doing small one each day just to clean up any food not ate but I am talking about the larger 30 - 40% water changes how often to do them?

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do a large one everyday especially in a small tank, and I believe the norm is one tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons, not one gallon, although some "Simply" guys may recommend more in certain situations.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thank you I have also heard one teaspoon per gallon also and when you say one large one per da what are we tlking here 50% 75% what? thank you for your help!

I would like to know a bit more on how much salt to use? I also have to figure out how much to add back in after the water changes.

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do around 40 50% daily, but my tanks are on a drip overflow system.
1 tablespoon per 10 gallons of water non-iodized salt

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have seen the qt tank been poshed up agents the owners real tank when discus have been qt. but I still think it would be better 2 qt 2 fish at a time

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hear you Josh unfourtunately my set up would not allow for me to do that,

and I see non-iodized salt I assume this is the same as aqurium salt would this also work? one table spoon per 10 galon so I would just bout one and a half then ok

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom