how long to keep old gravel in tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by lisasfishies, Apr 10, 2010.

1. lisasfishiesNew MemberMember

I inherited a 10g tank from my daughter. I have 3 zebra platys and 3 orange mollies.

I needed to change the gravel because of a problem with small snails. There were A LOT of them. My daughter brought one home from the store with a fish and the rest is snail history.

I changed the gravel by scooping it out and then put the new rinsed gravel in the tank. I put some of the old gravel in a couple of nylons and kept it in the tank (hopefully no snails!)

My question is how much of the old gravel do I need to keep in the tank. Will a week be long enough.

thanks for the help!

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Have you installed a new filter or changed the media in the filter? If you havn't, you shouldn't need to worry aobut the old gravel going into stockings. The filter should still contain a large bacteria colony that will soon spread to the new gravel. IF you have managed to eliminate the snails from the tank, then putting the old gravel in stockings to hang in the tank is going to come with a very good chance of reintroducing the snails.

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I've never used them before myself. I don't know if 10gal is suitable for them or not. I do know that they only eat 1-2 snails per day though. The other snails would probably breed faster than the Assasins could eat them. I'd be going with the baiting method myself if I still had the snail problem.

5. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome to fishlore, by the way, lisasfishies. You can bait the snails by putting a lettuce leaf in the tank. In the morning, it will be covered with snails, and then you just throw it away. I think that's what nutter is talking about.

6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes that's what I mean. I blanch the lettuce leaves first & put them in a glass in the tank though. For some reason I find it works better for me that way. Either way works though so long as the lettuce leaf is anchored to the substrate in some way.

7. lisasfishiesNew MemberMember

Thank you so much ! I am learning so much by reading all this information.

I didn't change the filter, though I will have to soon - the gravel change stirred up more 'dirt' than I had anticipated. The tank water is clear this morning and all the fish are alive, so far so good.

Keep your fingers crossed on the snail issue. I will try the lettuce if they reappear. :)

8. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I know this isn't what you asked about... but don't change the filter media! That's where the good bacteria from the nitrogen cycle lives. What you want to do is just rinse it in discarded tank water (not tap), and put it back into the tank. Just a light enough rinse that it gets any gunk off.

If it is a cartridge with carbon in it, then cut a slit at the top and pour the carbon out. It's only good for about 3 weeks. But the rest of that cartridge can stay in the tank until it falls apart in a few years.

If you want to use carbon in the filter, let me know and I can tell you how to do it, since you won't have any in the cartridge.

9. potatosValued MemberMember

weekly gravel vacuums, 30% water changes, all sucked through the gravel will help controll the population, along with limited feeding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice