How Long to keep a tank empty after flukes outbreak?

JoeV2004

Reaction score
How long can gill flukes live without fish?

I was battling gill flukes for several months due to a plant I did not quarantine and wiped out all my fish.

The flukes spread to all my tanks due to shared buckets and siphons . I do not have a microscope but all the fish showed symptoms of flukes: scratching their gills against substrate and decor , red gills, rapid breathing, laying on the bottom of the tank, staying near the surface, and lethargy.

I used PraziPro for multiple doses but the symptoms only got worse. I guess I was handling a strain resistant to Prazi. The parameters were: 0 ammonia, 0 nitirte, and 5 nitrate

In light of all this, I decided to rescape and replant my tanks.

it’s been 7 days without fish, how long can gill flukes live without fish? and when can I add new fish?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adults can only live 1 week without a host. When they hatch they have to find a host in like a day or two or theyll die. So to be safe, do 2 weeks and you should be good.

OP
JoeV2004

JoeV2004

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Adults can only live 1 week without a host. When they hatch they have to find a host in like a day or two or theyll die. So to be safe, do 2 weeks and you should be good.
thanks, so next week should be good then! the tanks have been fish free since last Tuesday January 21st

OP
JoeV2004

JoeV2004

Reaction score
n/a

would 3 weeks be safer? just in case

OP
JoeV2004

JoeV2004

Reaction score
MacZ said:
Sure. Just keep an eye on the cycle in that case.
thanks! i’ve read conflicting info. people from the saltwater community say leave the tank empty for 8-10 weeks while freshwater people say 2 weeks. i’m thinking maybe they could be talking about different species of gill flukes?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom