How long to have light on?

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just today I got my first plants for my tank. I am wondering how many hours a day the tank light should be on? I have read that for newly planted tanks you shouldn’t leave the light on more than 6 hours to prevent algae from taking over the plants. Before I had plants my aquarium light was on for around 12 hours a day and I don’t have much algae in there. Also is it important to make sure the light gets turned on and off at the same time every day?

the plants that I have is java moss, javafern, bacopa monnieri, and anubias bateri

emilyyyyy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally keep my lights on one of my planted tanks on for 8-9 hours a day. I think each tank is different with algae blooms. Some breakout in algae right away and others barely have any. I would start with 7 hours for a few days and see how it does. If there is not an algae explosion, keep them on for 8 hours. Then 9. I think that 8-9 hours a day is a good amount, at least in my experience, and it hasn't resulted in a lot of algae for me. Keeping a tight schedule with lighting is a good thing to have. If there are fish in the tank, an even better thing to try to do. Of course if you leave the lights on for an extra hour one day it can't do much harm to the fish, but it is good to have a day/night cycle in your tanks. If it is difficult to remember when to turn them on and off, there are light timers available that do it for you. Definitely something I will be getting in the future :), but for now I'm able to manage it.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What light do you have? I have them on for 7 hours full light with a sunrise sunset in my 55. My 5g has a regular $5 timer on it. It just makes it easier to not forget to turn them off. Like who hasn't fallen asleep with the light on? I think the fish kinda like the schedule too. Like Emily said every tank is different you kinda have to find your tanks light own schedule.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No....you have to use fertilizer so your plants can out compete the algae. The lighting has a big part in it though.

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I go with a "natural" method - I have the lights on a timer, and the timer is set to turn on when the sun is fully up and off when the sun goes down; and I change it with how the sun is as the seasons change where I live. Never had a problem personally with this method. I have java fern windelov, regular java fern, anubias, and some random seeds that sprouted from Wish :wacky: and I add a little liquid fert in when I do big water changes, and there's a quarter of a stick of slow-melt fertilizer under the substrate under my anubias.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom