How long to cure ich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once the temp is set to 86, how long does it for the ich to clear up? All of my fish seem perfect except for my loaches, they are covered in white spots....

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Leave the temperature raised for at least 2 weeks after all fish all clear of white spots.

The higher temperatures will speed up the ICKs lifecycle and eventually all of the spores will die off. Make sure you do your gravel vacuums two or three times a week to clean up all the spores in the gravel.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

As suggested above, leave the temperature raised for the full two weeks. Even if the fish are spot/ICH free. Two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off of the fish and into the substrate. Warmer waters require more oxygen so an air stone/supply line is a good idea too.

ICH may appear worse before it gets better.

Best of luck for a full recovery.

Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not much I can add to the above excellent advice just that Clown Loaches are ICH magnets and it will usually show up on them first.
After you finish treating for ICH keeping the temps at a steady 80F will keep them from getting it again.
Let us know how the ICH battle goes
carol

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It seems my aquarium isnt holding the temp at 86 at times? I'm not quite sure though. I have the marineland heater with the light on top, so it is green when the temp is at what I set it to, and red when it is turned on to schieve the set temp.

Lately I notice it goes red a lot, and sometimes the water feels warmer than other times. Should I get a new heater? This heater is only a few months old!

I want rid of this ich, my poor loaches are covered.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Fishluver,

I would highly recommend a thermometer to see exactly where your temperature is. I have the Stealth Pros and I have found them to be very accurate and a great heater. Other may have different opinions though.

ICK can be removed in temperatures over 82. However there are some strains, (so I've read) that are resistant to temperatures under 86. ICH may appear worse before it gets better. Usually 2 weeks with increased temperatures and 2 gravel vacuums each week will rid the ICH.

Ken

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its been almost 2 weeks that my temp has been at 86 and my clown loaches still look the same, if not worse actually
The one looks like hes getting kind of scrawny as well, almost like I can see his bones popping out. They eat everyday.
I also think they now have fungus as well.
They are still in my tank with the other fish as i dont have a tank to put them in, but all the fish look healthy and active???

Any thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom