How long to boil Malaysian driftwood

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by noturbizniss, Jul 9, 2015.

1. n

noturbizniss New Member Member

I bought a piece off amazon and am boiling it now. How long should I boil? At minimum?
    Thanks!

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I bought Malaysian wood from Amazon too but it was only 5 inches vs what they advertised as 10-12!! How big was yours? I'm returning mine.

Anyway, I also bought mopani wood from LFS and I boiled it for about an hour, let it soak in clean water overnight and then boiled it again in the other side for another hour and let it soak a second time. The water is clear so I think it's okay to put in tank.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Depends on the size. I usually boil my driftwood 1-3 times for an hour. If the piece is too big I just soak it in hot water for 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I've bought two pieces of Malaysian driftwood on Amazon and both pieces are fine. Bought them both from the same seller on two different occasions, I'd say they're both 9 or so inches long for under 10bucks each.

Anyway I just threw them in a pot and boiled them for about an hour, I'd changed the water out every 20 minutes or so, when it was looking like tea and added more to boil again.

5. el337

Guess you got luckier than me with better pieces. It was a nice shape but just so tiny.

6. OP
    OP
    n

noturbizniss New Member Member

Mines betwean 10-11 inches. It's a big chunk with a piece sticking out about 3-4 inches. I'm happy with it.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I order Malaysian Driftwood from Ken's in the link below. He has the largest pieces at the lowest prices that I have found to date. Too, I do not boil my driftwood, I rinse it and place it in the aquarium. This type of wood will sink on its own.

If you do not mind a little bit of tea colored water for a while, then there is no need for boiling with this type of wood. (if the wood is new)!

Ken (Not my site)

8. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Got mine off Amazon as well. A large box of 6 pieces all to large to boil. The two pieces I'm using so far I just soaked in a 5 gal bucket replacing the water once a day for three days. this removed I'd guess 99% of the tanins and they look great in the tanks.

9. el337

I'm the only sucker that got a 5 in. driftwood! lol

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I got awesome pieces of PetSolutions for very good prices. Unfortunately, after 2-3 weeks of constant soaking in hot water (pieces too large to boil), they were still leaching tannins. Now my tank has a blackwater theme!

11. S

Srrman New Member Member

I bought some nice pieces of Malaysian from Drs. I boiled them, changed the water when I couldn't see the bottom of the pot, til the water was clear. Took about half a day. Three weeks in the tank and the white cottonie stuff starts oozing out of the wood.

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That should go away on its own!

13. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

My BN pleco thinks that stuff is delicious.

14. S

Srrman New Member Member

I hope does. It is very ugly. I wonder how long it will take to go away. I had a dwarf pleco to eat algea but he didn't, so since I never saw him to enjoy him, I let my daughter have him for her tank. He was reddish brown with gold/yellow markings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice