How long till my Swordtail gives birth???

1. Joshpinto1999 Initiate Member

Hey everyone, I have a tank which has been set up for a long time, it's only 1ft long and has one pregnant swordtail and a guppy. Usually she'd be in my 3ft tank with a few other fish but for now she are in the pregnancy tank. My sword tail is extremely large in my opinion and I just want to see if I can get an indication as to how long she is off laying. Also, I had a few unknown fish fry in my tank, and not sure whether they were guppy or sword tail. Anyone know??

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. sunshine2012 Member Member

I believe it takes 28 days for your swordtail to have her babies, as far as the first pic goes I'm not sure because of the glare. Here is a pic of my guppy fry. These ones are a week old and the single one is about 2 months. [​IMG][​IMG]not the greatest pics sorry cause they move a lot but maybe you can see if you zoom in.

3. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say the sword is not too far from dropping, a week or so at most. Gestation is anywhere from four to six weeks, depending on temperature and other factors.

Fish are coldblooded animals. A very specific gestation period is impossible to give on coldblooded animals, as warmer temps can shorten it, and cooler temps can prolong it.

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Josh...

Livebearing female fish will hold off dropping the fry until they believe water conditions are right for the survival of the fry. If they feel comfortable and are ready, you'll have little ones in the tank. Large, regular water changes are best and make the new, treated tap water a little warmer. Add some floating plants like Hornwort. Just drop some individual stems of this plant into the tank. The female will be able to move into the plants to be away from the other fish.

Just keep the water extremely clean and feed a little more and a little more often. The combination of a lot of pure, warm water and plenty of food should help.

Old