How Long Till Bb Die?

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

As you may have read, I lost a tank this week. I don't want to lose my cycled media too.

The media is sponge, bag of bio balls, and crushed coral. I have it sitting in a bucket so it stays wet.

Should I be dosing ammonia? This is not a working filter, just the media itself.

How long could I possibly keep the BB good for?

2. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Without water circulating over them media i dont believe it will last very long at all.

3. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I think this stuff is tougher than we give it credit for. I emptied a canister tank of water and put it away since I wasn’t planning to use it for a while, only to pull it out a week later. In less than a week I had the cycle back, though it had shrunk some. It’s much easier to build back up than start from scratch. I’d say at least Run an airstone for circulation and dose ammonia.

4. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Well I put the bioballs into another filter I have running. Threw the sponge out, smelled funny. I know, not good.

5. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Quick update. The bioballs held the BB. The parameters have been steady. And here I thought the sponge had the bb.

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Sponges contain some of the bb, the more often they are cleaned they more the biomedia will contain the higher concentration.

Happy to hear it all turned out ok :)