how long should my light be on?

Tamara

Reaction score
I'm sort of confused...some people say never, orthers all the time, and others in the morning and night...I'M CONFUSED!
it says all my fish down below, so ya...any help appreciated ...kind of a sad question but that's me
and I heard the longer you leave the light on..the more algae it makes?
is it true..because my pleco now no longer has algae to munch on..so i'm kind of worried that he's not getting fed..
I fed him lettuce--not sure if he ate any..he just stays in the little cave taht I have (mostly because of the light)
thanks! tara

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is reccomended for your lights to be on eight hours a day, maybe a little less if you have strong lights. As its perfect for fish but also for any live plants you have in your tank.

If there is no algae in your tank for your plec than maybe buy a algae wafer for him?

Hope this has helped

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could grow some yourself ,put a stone in a clear plastic bag spray some water on the stone and place in greenhouse or in the window, but make sure it does not dry out .

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
Unless you have any live plants in the tank the liight for the tank is not needed for anything other then for you to see teh fish better. If you have no liive plants you don't have to turn the light on. If you do have live plants having the lights on for a couple of hours a day is recomended to make sure the plants get enough light. This also depends on were your tank is and how much natural light it gets.

AlfaBetta

Reaction score
You should have the lights on for about 8 hours even if you don't have any plants. Fish in the wild are used to sunlight especially tropical fish.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes and if you are having algae issues go 4 hours on, two hours off, four hours on. Also the pleco you have first sorry to say is too large for your tank and second needs veggie mater in his diet, try cucumber. Also you should try to get rid of the cory also as they NEED friends and with the guppies and mollies you don't have room for more. My suggestion for stocking is:
all your guppies
all your mollies
2 more mollies
7-8 ghost shrimp as clean up crew.

As for suggestions for half gallon tank only thing would work is one or two ghost shrimp

Austin

O eight hours of day for lighting unless you start to have algae problems.

Jmarcus

Reaction score
I keep my lights on 12 hours per day my plants seem to do better as they love light.

gammerus

Well Known
Reaction score
I generally just fallow the natural lighting outside... hasn't failed me yet.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since most fish people keep are from the tropics, they do best with a close to 12 light/ 12 hour dark cycle.

Dino

New Threads