How Long Should Lighting Be On?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Z123Killer, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

I have an unplanted tank which has LED lighting, I have the white lights for 8 hours and the blue lights on for 5 minutes? But I was wondering what the correct amount of time lighting should be on.

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

The correct amount is the amount that limits algae growth, maximizes plant growth and maximizes your enjoyment of the tank. Usually that's 8-10 hours, and depends on your lifestyle.

I run my lights for 16 hours, On just before I leave for work, off when I go to bed. I get no algae growth and reasonable plant growth. I've recently put in a 4 hour off period at midday though on weekdays. Doesn't seem to change much, but since I'm not home I thought' I'd give the siesta thing a try.

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

If your tank is unplanted your lights can be on for as long as you like.

4. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorldWell Known MemberMember

8h white and 4h blue should be fine !

5. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

As long as you like as long as you have a dark/night period and no algae. If you get algae shorten on time or add a siesta.

6. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

My tank's right next to a window, so usually I don't bother with the light too much. If it's cloudy and there's no sun out, the light's on from 12PM-10PM.

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

I solved it by using a Planted+ 24/7 light. It's on all the time since it mimics day and night cycles. Bonus? It also reminds me that it's time to go to bed because I'm a night owl and when I see it ramping up to day lights by adding red I know I had better get to bed or my kids will make me pay for staying up in the morning xD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice