How Long Should Lighting Be On?

1. Z123Killer

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I have an unplanted tank which has LED lighting, I have the white lights for 8 hours and the blue lights on for 5 minutes? But I was wondering what the correct amount of time lighting should be on.

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,275
    The correct amount is the amount that limits algae growth, maximizes plant growth and maximizes your enjoyment of the tank. Usually that's 8-10 hours, and depends on your lifestyle.

I run my lights for 16 hours, On just before I leave for work, off when I go to bed. I get no algae growth and reasonable plant growth. I've recently put in a 4 hour off period at midday though on weekdays. Doesn't seem to change much, but since I'm not home I thought' I'd give the siesta thing a try.

3. smee82

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +441
    If your tank is unplanted your lights can be on for as long as you like.

4. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +305
    8h white and 4h blue should be fine !

5. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,248
    As long as you like as long as you have a dark/night period and no algae. If you get algae shorten on time or add a siesta.

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,720
    My tank's right next to a window, so usually I don't bother with the light too much. If it's cloudy and there's no sun out, the light's on from 12PM-10PM.

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +479
    I solved it by using a Planted+ 24/7 light. It's on all the time since it mimics day and night cycles. Bonus? It also reminds me that it's time to go to bed because I'm a night owl and when I see it ramping up to day lights by adding red I know I had better get to bed or my kids will make me pay for staying up in the morning xD