How Long Should I Wait To Put Live Plants In My Aquarium?

Mackenziecromie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI there! I currently have a 20 gal tank with an aquaclear 50 gal filter with some aquaquartz pool filter sand as my substrate! Ive got three female platies and 4 albino corycats and I'm looking for some insight on what plants would be easy and work well in just a sand substrate with some nutrients capsules or something? Also ive had my tank for about a month now or so I'm also wondering if I should wait until my tanks a little more established!!)

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
You can add plants at any time and sand works great. Plants are often categorized as column-feeders or root-feeders, meaning they take the majority of their nutrients from the water or the substrate. All plants can benefit from fertilizers in the water and root-feeders will appreciate occasional root tabs pushed into the sand nearby. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (not Excel) and their root tabs are easy fertilizers to start with.

As for the plants themselves, it's hard to go wrong with Amazon sword, java fern, and java moss. They'll grow practically anywhere under any lighting.

I suggest a plant and quarantine to mitigate the risk of introducing unwanted snails, ich and other parasites, hydra, planaria, etc.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It doesn't matter when you put plants in, up to you.

Brian Knowles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The plants can go in any time. Be careful not to get too much going on while the tank is new. Easy to get distracted when worrying about too much at one time.

Tenoch

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Brian Knowles said:
Be careful not to get too much going on while the tank is new
Would you mind to elavorate?

Brian Knowles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tenoch said:
Would you mind to elavorate?
Just saying, if you are still trying to cycle, working with plants, and all the day to day activities in a new tank it is easy to get focused on one thing, and loose track of another. And if you have many "projects" going on and things go a little off, it can be hard to determine the cause. Good luck with your new tank!!!! Post Pics!!!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom