How Long Should I Wait For Sand To Settle?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Skaribrat, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Skaribrat

Skaribrat New Member Member

HI everyone,

So, I changed my sand already lol...I couldn't see my axolotl on the blue play sand that well, so I switched to white. I can't remember how long it took the blue to settle because it was at the start of my cycle and I didn't really pay attention, since he wasn't in the tank anyhow. My questions.

1. Do I have to wait for this to settle 100% before putting him back in?

2. If I put my sponge filter in now will it clog up with sand, or should I wait untill it''s 100% clear?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Did you wash the new sand before placing in tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Skaribrat

Yes, I washed it, but I didn't put a plate or bowl in the tank bottom before adding the water.

4. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Did you wash it several times? If not water change half the tank should help.

If you get some filter floss, fine filter pad you could place that in filter at the first layer and remove once tank clears

After 24 hours if its not cleared it likely wont clear anymore by itself

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  5. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I've never used play sand so I'm not sure. Multi purpose sand takes less than an hour to settle and if not washed the fine silica particulates take about 4 hours to settle. If you have seachem clarity it will remove it almost immediately and after an hour just swish your sponge.

6. OP
    OP
    Skaribrat

Ok thanks, it's been about 24 hours so I'm going to add a giant sponge filter that I don't care about and see if that will help, if not I will do more water changes. I thought I washed it enough, but it's really hard to tell with Plat sand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice