How Long Should I Wait Before Turning My Filter Back On After Adding Sand? Question 

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! So I’m almost down rinsing my sand, but I’ve heard it’s best to turn the filter off and wait for the sand to settle. I’ve heard an hour or more, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Caroline J said:
Hello! So I’m almost down rinsing my sand, but I’ve heard it’s best to turn the filter off and wait for the sand to settle. I’ve heard an hour or more, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!
Wait till it settles out and no cloudiness. If you have a HOB it can erode the impeller and degrade the bearing surface. If you have a sump then fire that bad boy up.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
Wait till it settles out and no cloudiness. If you have a HOB it can erode the impeller and degrade the bearing surface. If you have a sump then fire that bad boy up.
Perfect, thank you! Would I have to unplug my filter every time I stirred the sand up as well?? Oh gosh I sure wish I had one

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Once it settles it will be good and subsequent vacuuming won’t cause a problem.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donthemon said:
Once it settles it will be good and subsequent vacuuming won’t cause a problem.
Good to hear. I appreciate the reply!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you wash the sand appropriately the first time before adding it, there will be no cloudiness in the tank when you add it.

I used pool filter sand in my 75g.

Patience is key when washing sand.

I washed my by filling a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of sand and kept rinsing it with a garden hose.

Any fine dust and the smaller grains of sand that float will be suspended in the water, keep dumping out water and keep rinsing.

The goal of each bucket of washed sand is to be able to grab a handful of sand and pour it back into the bucket with all the grains of sand sinking back down.

Anytime grains of sand are still being suspended in the water inside the bucket, keep rinsing.

In my 75g, I can scoop up a cup of sand and pour it back in, and all of it sinks right down with no cloudiness.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
If you wash the sand appropriately the first time before adding it, there will be no cloudiness in the tank when you add it.

I washed my by filling a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of sand and kept rinsing it with a garden hose.

Any fine dust and the smaller grains of sand that float will be suspended in the water, keep dumping out water and keep rinsing.

The goal of each bucket of washed sand is to be able to grab a handful of sand and pour it back into the bucket with all the grains of sand sinking back down.

Anytime grains of sand are still being suspended in the water inside the bucket, keep rinsing.

In my 75g, I can scoop up a cup of sand and pour it back in, and all of it sinks right down with no cloudiness.
Ohh ok that’s a good goal to strive towards. I really appreciate the help, I’ll try and make sure all the grains sink down before putting it in the tank.

Islandvic said:

Oh about how many more rinses
IMG_4389.jpg
would you estimate for this batch? The water runs pretty clear when I pour it out, but it does still look slightly cloudy when looking straight into the bucket.
IMG_4389.jpg

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Patience is key.

More rinsing is needed.

What type of sand is it?

Play sand or pool filter sand?
Thank you! I’m not quite sure if it’s either, it’s from the brand CaribSea so I ordered sand specifically for aquariums.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom