How Long should I wait before Feeding My New Fish?

jbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all, I just added two Zebra Danios to my new tank (36 gal) along with some TSS to begin the cycling process. How long should I wait before feeding them?
Also, I still have not turned the light back on. How long should I wait to do that?

Thanks!

endlersallday

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can feed them when you're comfortable doing so, or once the fish have settled in. For the light, give them about an hour after you put them in and you're good to turn it on.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could wait a few hours and then turn the lights on.
I would recommend getting a timer and setting it for about 10 hours on.
As for feeding them, I would say you can feed them any time.
I would limit them to only one feeding a day ( I feed my fish once ever other day )
In about 2 weeks ( don't test, add any additives or do a water change during the 2 week period as your results will be skewed ) you can do your water testing, big water change, etc.

Good luck!

OP
J

jbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great, thanks Junne.
So even when things spike, I should just let it do it's thing and not do any water changes? Is that correct?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jbox said:
Great, thanks Junne.
So even when things spike, I should just let it do it's thing and not do any water changes? Is that correct?

They say to not test during the 2 weeks because your results will be inaccurate and skewed - making you go crazy! I know that's the hardest part to do.
After your 2 weeks, test and then do at least a 75% water change.

Also, do not change your filter pads/media - you can rinse them in used tank water but I would wait at least a month before doing that to get good beneficial bacteria growing on there.

What conditioner will you plan on using after the TSS? I would recommend getting PRIME by seachem. Also, what kind of test kit do you have? I would recommend getting a good liquid test kit such as API master test kit - usually costs around $25.00 - $30.00 but well worth it. The test strips are not as accurate, although I use them myself in between my API test kit as a guideline. After you are established for awhile, you will understand how some people use the test strips in this way.

Rch727

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In my little experience I'd always wait till the next day to feed them. Most likely the store you bought them from already fed them for the day. For the lights id say 20 minutes or so.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom