how long should i test the tank?

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i have a tank that i siliconed the black rim and a chip, and i need to know how many days i should test it in my garage.
    thanks

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

the longer the better but at LEAST 36 hours

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

so around 3 days. ok thanks

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Have you let the silicone cure for 7 days? It must cure properly before adding water.

First let the silicone cure for 7 days, then I'm with pirahna, minimum 36 hours (which is 1 and a half days)

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

7 days!!!??? ive never heard that. ive only heard 24 hours. this is only on the outside of the tank. none of this will touch water.

6. ryanr

IME - silicone will continue to set/cure/go-off for up to 7 days (while the inside sets)

In a pressure environment (i.e. weight of water on glass), if the silicone hasn't set, it can stretch/rupture the seal.

Typical silicone applications (around glass windows etc) that aren't exposed to pressure, should be left 24 hours before getting wet to allow the outer skin to set, but it still continues to fully cure over the course of the week.

Just my experiences and the advice of glaziers and tank builders.

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i really dont have that long. i need to set this tank up and move around tanks. :/

8. ryanr

Was the original seal intact and undamaged? i.e. just repairing superficial exterior damage?

If so, I don't see any problem with your plan.

If you're "move around tanks" conundrum is temporary, I also don't see a problem.

However, if your plan is to quickly repair a load bearing tank with silicone for a permanent solution, I think it would be good idea to reconsider the curing time.

9. pirahnah3

I agree, if this was just an outer seal that is more of a precautionary job then the normal set time is fine but if it is an interior tank seal then you could have issues rushing things. Also If you need to fill it early you might be able to use some clamps and wood to make a support that you can hold things together with.

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

This was just the outside black frame.

11. pirahnah3

May I ask why you siliconed just the plastic frame? other than for astethics?

If you didn't touch any of the stress points of the tank then I think there is a null issue here.

12. ryanr

Agreed.

13. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

The frame cracked. ive already got it filled up in the garage.

14. pirahnah3

ahhh ok now it all starts to make sense. Yeah a water test is well in order. given that its only the frame I wouldn't even worry too much about it, give it the night and some time in the day and I think you can call it. I and I think a lot of us thought this was part of the structure not more of the visual appeal.

15. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

im leaving it in there until i get my stand unless there would be a problem with that.

16. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

like temp flunctuations

17. ryanr

Yep, if it is only cosmetic, then you're probably good to go.

I was certainly thinking it was a structural repair.

18. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

ok cool. i might not even use this tank though, haha.