How long should I soak mopani wood?

AggressiveAquatics

Hey guys
I have two questions how long should I soak mopani drift wood? And also how long should I soak spider wood? I’m trying not to get to much tannins into my water thanks!

BigManAquatics

I like to at least soak it til it sinks. Don't like to deal with that in the tank itself

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I like to at least soak it til it sinks. Don't like to deal with that in the tank itself
In your experience has that been enough to get most of the tannins out? And how should I keep it under water in the bucket while it’s soaking

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

In a bucket i usually just get a plastic bag or ziploc bag with some crushed rock and tie it on. Or just tie on a brick. Something to get it under the water.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Mopani may leech tannins forever. Is it dark brown?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Mopani may leech tannins forever. Is it dark brown?
I haven’t bought any yet I’m trying to figure out which one I want so I’ll probably go with spider wood

Upvote 0

A201

Malaysian "will" leach tannins eternally. On the bright side it usually sinks like a boat anchor & wood munching Plecos do well with it.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

My Manzanita doesn't leech much at all. But its branchy not solid.

Upvote 0

AJE

I just soak till it sinks

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Don’t do spiderwood if you wanna have low ph, just do like wild wood or dragon root or manzanita or mopani, you don’t need to soak it IMO if you boil it it removes pests and wc will remove excess tannins, might just be for me

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Don’t do spiderwood if you wanna have low ph, just do like wild wood or dragon root or manzanita or mopani, you don’t need to soak it IMO if you boil it it removes pests and wc will remove excess tannins, might just be for me
What do you mean don’t do it if I want low ph? Does spider wood increase ph?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I just looked it up and everything I saw says it either doesn’t affect ph or decreases it if anything

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Any pieces of DW we add to our tanks we just let them float in said tank till they sink then put them in place. Tannins are beneficial so i wouldn't worry about it. Yes it makes the water a bit of a tea color but after a couple handfuls of WC's it'll start to subside. We have pretty large pieces on most all of our tanks and none leech anymore. We have both Mopani and Manzanita. Also have some pieces of Cholla wood. Those give the tank a nice look as well and not all of them are just plain stumps some actually have some design to them.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Any pieces of DW we add to our tanks we just let them float in said tank till they sink then put them in place. Tannins are beneficial so i wouldn't worry about it. Yes it makes the water a bit of a tea color but after a couple handfuls of WC's it'll start to subside. We have pretty large pieces on most all of our tanks and none leech anymore. We have both Mopani and Manzanita. Also have some pieces of Cholla wood. Those give the tank a nice look as well and not all of them are just plain stumps some actually have some design to them.
Alright so is boiling necessary or just a wash and then I can add to the tank?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I just looked it up and everything I saw says it either doesn’t affect ph or decreases it if anything
Yes you are right on that it decreases pH. If at all.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Yes you are right on that it decreases pH. If at all.
Alright thanks that’s what I thought. I’ve never heard of driftwood increasing ph

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Alright thanks that’s what I thought. I’ve never heard of driftwood increasing ph
Me either.

Upvote 0

MacZ

That would have had to be soaked in extremely hard water or salt water for months or in alkaline solutions.

Edit: For the original question: Spiderwood only has to be soaked until it sinks.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jeezusjuiicee
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic