How long should I run these lights

Papichulo

Reaction score
I have a 48" led current satellite plus on a 55 gal long, 18 inch tall, currently the time has it set for 11 hours on. I'm not using ferts or co2 . Any and all help is appreciated

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You need to decrease your light schedule or you'll get algae (especially if you're not dosing ferts). You also need to be dosing ferts - root tabs for your root feeders and liquid ferts for your water column feeders.

What kind of plants do you have? Some plants can do well with just fish waste, but it looks like you have plants that need additional ferts.

jpm995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many factors are involved with planted tanks. Depth of tank [how far are lights away from plants], lumens from lights [changes as bulbs age], plants used [some require more lights], water quality and neutriants available in water and substrate. Algae has many of the same needs as plants so it's a balancing act to get healthy plants without too much algae. I would adjust light schedule after seeing how plants are doing, too much algae, cut back and hour or two. No plant growth, add an hour.

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
Currently I have 6 diamond tetras the tank is coming toawards the very end of its cycle (nock on wood), thhey were supposed to be all beginner plants that's what the dude at the only lfs said, the led light is classified as medium plant light on its site, the plants arewisteria, anacharis, corkscrew val bunch ,bacopa, java fern lace, red ludwigia broad. I'm new to plants and these kind of fish ive only ever had this tank set up for bigger bait fish years ago. If I need ferts please lemme know the brands so I can order them. Thank you for all the help so far guys

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
Also I did want to make this a tank for smaller fish that are schooling fish once my cycle was safely over ,just incase it matters

jpm995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know the Java fern grows under any conditions, I think the others need pretty high light. The 55 is a great tank to observe schooling behavior as it's very long and good for small fish as it's narrow [12" wide].

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
the person at the store sold me the plants with the light saying itd be plenty powerful , around where I live there aint no good lfs the one I went to is a 40 minute drive. Should I pull certain llants

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
The light is currently on full spectrum light at 6500k 2000 lumens

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Papichulo said:
Currently I have 6 diamond tetras the tank is coming toawards the very end of its cycle (nock on wood), thhey were supposed to be all beginner plants that's what the dude at the only lfs said, the led light is classified as medium plant light on its site, the plants arewisteria, anacharis, corkscrew val bunch ,bacopa, java fern lace, red ludwigia broad. I'm new to plants and these kind of fish ive only ever had this tank set up for bigger bait fish years ago. If I need ferts please lemme know the brands so I can order them. Thank you for all the help so far guys
Those plants aren't particularly needy, though I would add root tabs for the root feeders and liquid ferts. There are multiple types of root tabs - I use pre-made Osmocote plus tabs and Seachem Flourish.

jpm995 said:
I know the Java fern grows under any conditions, I think the others need pretty high light. The 55 is a great tank to observe schooling behavior as it's very long and good for small fish as it's narrow [12" wide].
The only one that needs medium light is the red Ludwigia, and it might still grow under lower light conditions (it just won't be red).

Papichulo said:
the person at the store sold me the plants with the light saying itd be plenty powerful , around where I live there aint no good lfs the one I went to is a 40 minute drive. Should I pull certain llants
I'd leave them, but add ferts.

Papichulo said:
The light is currently on full spectrum light at 6500k 2000 lumens
It's the right temp! Knowing your PAR ratings would be helpful, but I don't know if Current has released those or if anyone has measured them.

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
The par for 18" is 28 and at 24" its 21 par. So any preferred ferts I should buy ? Thanks for all the knowledge and help so far guys it means a lot to a noobie such as me.

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
What would be a good hour recommendation of time for the light to be I guess would be the final question

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So that's low light. I'd shoot for 8 hours, and you can increase to 10 if you're not getting algae and the plants look like they could use more.

OP
P

Papichulo

Reaction score
Alright, I started seeing some dark green on certain plants leaves now to think of it I think its algae. Thank you for the help

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom