Question How Long Should I Keep The Temperature Up For Treating Ich?

JoeV2004

Reaction score
Hey fish friends,

I had a minuscule ich situation in my quarantine tank for my new ember tetras I got last week. One tetra was flashing and ich seemed like the reasonable diagnosis. There were not any white spots yet. The store I got them from had an ich outbreak a few weeks ago.

I noticed the flashing on Sunday afternoon and slowly got the temperature up to 88 degrees. The tetras are acting normal and are eating normal. I also increased the output on the sponge filter to help with aeration.

So far, I noticed no flashing and no white spots at all yesterday and today.

How long should I keep the heat up?
I was thinking a full 7 days just to be safe

Thanks!

JJfishes

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Freshwater Ich can survive for a pretty long time, I believe for up to two weeks if I'm correct.

I've dealt with Ich two times, and have always used the fizzing Ich medication/tablets from Tetra and they suggested for treating for additional two weeks, I only treated for one additional week and no Ich since, but I am pretty educated on the different Ich treatments out there.

Ich will die in around two days at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, 7 days of additional treatment should be fine, but keep a very close eye on them.

Good luck!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it recommended to keep the temp up for 2-3 weeks. Just to make sure there all dead. I would also vacuume the gravel a couple of times to get rid of whatever is still lasting in there.

milankosaurus

Reaction score
When I had ich outbreak on my 6 platies at the time, I used medicine (petco's Parasite Remedy) every other day for 2 weeks and every other day 50% water change+vacuum as well. I didn't mess with temp at all and was able to cure close to 9 days. If you do raise temps however, don't forget to increase air bubbles as warmer water doesn't release as much oxygen as colder. Treat at least 2 weeks even if symptoms are gone to kill off whatever is still floating

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's always good practice to continue your chosen treatment regimen at least 7-10 days minimum after the last visible sign of Ich is observed.

Past 7-10 days is even better.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ich can wipe out an entire tank pretty quickly if not treated properly. Please don't think of this as a minscule situation.

If it's ich you will see the white dots at some point. The heat method for treatment speeds up the life cycle, but the life cycle still proceeds. It's three stages. The fish get infected during the parasite's free swimming stage. Then it attaches to the fish, and including the gills, and white spots form. The white spots fall off after a few days and fall to the bottom. Then they explode and release zillions of free swimming parasites, which attach to the fish, etc., etc.

The only phase the parasite can be killed in is the free swimming stage, and it's invisible. That's why it's crucial to treat for at least a week after all the symptoms disappear.

The temperature method kills the ich because it can't reproduce in temps above a certain level.

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the ich life cycle lasts 2-3 weeks.

Life Cycle of Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JoeV2004 said:
Hey fish friends,

I had a minuscule ich situation in my quarantine tank for my new ember tetras I got last week. One tetra was flashing and ich seemed like the reasonable diagnosis. There were not any white spots yet. The store I got them from had an ich outbreak a few weeks ago.

I noticed the flashing on Sunday afternoon and slowly got the temperature up to 88 degrees. The tetras are acting normal and are eating normal. I also increased the output on the sponge filter to help with aeration.

So far, I noticed no flashing and no white spots at all yesterday and today.

How long should I keep the heat up?
I was thinking a full 7 days just to be safe

Thanks!
Hello Joe...

Heat isn't really a good means of treating the Ich parasite. Heat increases the fishes' metabolism so they will poop more and this will help foul the tank water. By increasing the metabolism of the fish, you actually shorten the lifespan of the fish. Prolonged heat will also damage the heart and open the fish to a number of immune system problems. So, you keep the heat at a normal level around 76 degrees for tropicals and around 70 for other fish, like Goldfish. What you do, is add a bit of standard aquarium salt, roughly a teaspoon or even a bit more to every 5 gallons of your water change water and do a good job of vacuuming any bottom material. Gradually increase your water changes to 50 percent every few days and feed very little. You simply maintain this routine until you see improvement in the fish. The Ich parasite isn't able to reproduce in water with a trace of salt in it and the salt will stimulate the fishes' immune system.

Old

New Threads