How long should I keep my lights on?

Ankatic

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a relatively new 10 gallon planted tank. I'd say about a month or two old. It has a jungle val, corkscrew val, ruffled sword, 2 tiny swords that nobody can identify, some dwarf hairgrass, water wisteria, and I think that's it. My light is this:

I have no clue how long to keep my light on. It started at 12 hours, where I got rapid growth but then insane die back as algae took over, so I cut it back to 3 hours for the last month. Can someone recommend a time that will keep algae low but growth high?

Thanks everyone!

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That’s something you will have to figure out. Are you dosing any ferts? The thing is to try adjusting one thing ie lights or ferts. Keep one at a constant and try adjusting the other.

OP
A

Ankatic

Reaction score
SaltyPhone said:
That’s something you will have to figure out. Are you dosing any ferts? The thing is to try adjusting one thing ie lights or ferts. Keep one at a constant and try adjusting the other.
I am not dosing any ferts. I am only using Flourish root tabs. I was using excel, but that killed my corkscrew so I had to buy a new one.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The way ferts/root tabs work is by supplying a nitrogen based food source. If nitrogen levels are above what the plants uptake then algae will thrive on the leftovers. Therefore if you set your light on a timer; and provided it’s not near a window you at least have control over the lighting. So with lights on a constant you need to be able to test at least the nitrate levels and try to keep those consistent.

OP
A

Ankatic

Reaction score
SaltyPhone said:
The way ferts/root tabs work is by supplying a nitrogen based food source. If nitrogen levels are above what the plants uptake then algae will thrive on the leftovers. Therefore if you set your light on a timer; and provided it’s not near a window you at least have control over the lighting. So with lights on a constant you need to be able to test at least the nitrate levels and try to keep those consistent.
Ah. That makes sense. Do you think 5 hours for now should be fine? If so, I will use that as a base and watch nitrates following that to see if they stay constant

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yea definitely set the light for; let’s just say 6 hours on a timer. That way you know the lighting is consistent. Test nitrates. Let that go for a week and test nitrates again. Keep that up for a month or so recording results so you have a base line established. With root tabs there no real way to adjust what you put in there so you may have to adjust water change schedules. That being said I still have to spend a bit of time manually removing hair algae and such.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom