How Long Should I Cycle My Tank.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There's no length of time that you can cycle it.
It's however long it takes the bacteria colony to fully establish and be able to process ammonia in 24 hours.

I would pour the entire bottle of TSS into the tank and add an ammonia source. Have your testing kit handy, you'll need it a lot.
After the ammonia is quickly processed, that's when I start to add more ammonia than I was before to give it even more strength.

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
There's no length of time that you can cycle it.
It's however long it takes the bacteria colony to fully establish and be able to process ammonia in 24 hours.

I would pour the entire bottle of TSS into the tank and add an ammonia source. Have your testing kit handy, you'll need it a lot.
After the ammonia is quickly processed, that's when I start to add more ammonia than I was before to give it even more strength.
I tested it yestday and it seemed fine so I think I will move them in three days.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fish-keeper said:
No they are in another tank at the moment will moving them on Friday be fine?
You won't be cycled that quickly.
I'd give it at least two weeks.

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
You won't be cycled that quickly.
I'd give it at least two weeks.
I have used some water from an established tank as well as new water.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fish-keeper said:
I have used some water from an established tank as well as new water.
You aren't going to become cycled with water, that's not where the bacteria colonize.

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
You aren't going to become cycled with water, that's not where the bacteria colonize.
I have tested everything and it is all fine, so my guess is it is fine to add them I asked a friend of mine who is a fish expert and said they are not going to suffer as I have used water from the other tank for part of the tank, and as long as I move themwhen all the other things are fine it will be safe he said that you can put the in after one week as they are not at all sensitive fish. He also said to float the media from the old tank on the top of the water so the good Bactria can be moved to the new tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will try one time and one time only since it seems you trust your friend the fish expert. I am just wondering why you are asking us since you clearly have decided to follow his advice.

You can help jump start this tank by taking everything from your 6 gallon and put it in this tank. If your small tank was in fact cycled it will have some of the bacteria necessary to cycle a tank. I would be surprised if there is enough to accomplish an instant cycle in your new 55.

You need to move ALL of the filter media. All of the gravel and deco, all of the water and the fish. In other words .... move everything over and even then I don't think there could be enough bacteria to get an instant cycle. You don't need to float the media in the new tank. You need to put it in your filter housing so the water will run through it.

It will still take time to grow enough bacteria to consider this tank cycled. I am not sure you totally understand what it means to cycle a tank. Simply put it just means allowing a tank enough time to grow the bacteria necessary to process the ammonia fish add to the water.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, I disagree. If a 6g tank bacteria could handle say 1ppm/day ammonia from the fish, a 12g tank would only be .5ppm/day with the same fish. The same bacteria should be able to handle it immediately...

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasGuppy said:
Actually, I disagree. If a 6g tank bacteria could handle say 1ppm/day ammonia from the fish, a 12g tank would only be .5ppm/day with the same fish. The same bacteria should be able to handle it immediately...
I know you seem to enjoy correcting me and I accept it when I am not correct. Did I misunderstand the size of the tank? I was thinking 55 gallon but if it is in fact a 55 liter then you are correct.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is hardly any beneficial bacteria in the water column. And the tiny bit that is will die off with no ammonia source. So if you wait to add the fish it accomplishes nothing.

It really accomplishes nothing anyway since there's barely any a beneficial bacteria in the water column itself.

Even if you use the old filter on the new tank it will accomplish nothing if you leave it empty for a week. All that beneficial bacteria just dies

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
I will try one time and one time only since it seems you trust your friend the fish expert. I am just wondering why you are asking us since you clearly have decided to follow his advice.

You can help jump start this tank by taking everything from your 6 gallon and put it in this tank. If your small tank was in fact cycled it will have some of the bacteria necessary to cycle a tank. I would be surprised if there is enough to accomplish an instant cycle in your new 55.

You need to move ALL of the filter media. All of the gravel and deco, all of the water and the fish. In other words .... move everything over and even then I don't think there could be enough bacteria to get an instant cycle. You don't need to float the media in the new tank. You need to put it in your filter housing so the water will run through it.

It will still take time to grow enough bacteria to consider this tank cycled. I am not sure you totally understand what it means to cycle a tank. Simply put it just means allowing a tank enough time to grow the bacteria necessary to process the ammonia fish add to the water.
I can’t put the media in the filter housing as it will not fit. Also I asked for a second opinion.

bizaliz3 said:
There is hardly any beneficial bacteria in the water column. And the tiny bit that is will die off with no ammonia source. So if you wait to add the fish it accomplishes nothing.

It really accomplishes nothing anyway since there's barely any a beneficial bacteria in the water column itself.

Even if you use the old filter on the new tank it will accomplish nothing if you leave it empty for a week. All that beneficial bacteria just dies
So should I move the fish in a few days?

Here is the difference in size.

Here it is sorry I had some difficulty uploading first time.

Attachments

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish-keeper said:
So should I move the fish in a few days?
The beneficial bacteria will be dead. Especially since you are not even using a source that has much beneficial bacteria. I am surprised that this supposed expert friend of yours would not be aware of the fact that using BB from an established tank accomplishes nothing if there are no fish put into it immediately. By waiting to add the fish, you are essentially UN-cycling the tank!

Throwing BB into a tank that has no fish and just waiting is NOT CYCLING THE TANK. Using water from an established tank does next to nothing to cycle the tank even if there are fish in it.

You should use media from the filter of an established tank if you want enough BB to actually help kick start a cycle. But again, fish are needed for this process to work. Not a few days later, but that very day.

You said you tested the water and it was fine. What were the readings?

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bizaliz3 said:
The beneficial bacteria will be dead. Especially since you are not even using a source that has much beneficial bacteria. I am surprised that this supposed expert friend of yours would not be aware of the fact that using BB from an established tank accomplishes nothing if there are no fish put into it immediately. By waiting to add the fish, you are essentially UN-cycling the tank!

Throwing BB into a tank that has no fish and just waiting is NOT CYCLING THE TANK. Using water from an established tank does next to nothing to cycle the tank even if there are fish in it.

You should use media from the filter of an established tank if you want enough BB to actually help kick start a cycle. But again, fish are needed for this process to work. Not a few days later, but that very day.

You said you tested the water and it was fine. What were the readings?
So I should add them now,are you sure,will they get hurt.

TexasGuppy said:
Should I add them now?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish-keeper said:
So I should add them now,are you sure,will they get hurt.
I don't think your tank is cycled.... I am trying to explain to you why what you did is NOT making it safe for the fish. So most likely you should not move them.

BUT....What is the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of the tank? I need to know those before telling you if I think it is ok or not. How long has it been running fishless??

What kind of filter are you using and what kind of filter is on your established tank?

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bizaliz3 said:
I don't think your tank is cycled.... I am trying to explain to you why what you did is NOT making it safe for the fish. So most likely you should not move them.

BUT....What is the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of the tank? I need to know those before telling you if I think it is ok or not. How long has it been running fishless??

What kind of filter are you using and what kind of filter is on your established tank?
It has been running fish less for two days and i can not quite remember the results but they were all good.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish-keeper said:
It has been running fish less for two days and i can not quite remember the results but they were all good.
You likely have no bb left if all you used was water from your other tank.

What do you use to test your water? And have you even tested it for the last 2 days?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom