How Long Should I Cycle My Tank.

Fish-keeper
I have a 55L tank how long should I cycle it.

Fanatic
There's no length of time that you can cycle it.
It's however long it takes the bacteria colony to fully establish and be able to process ammonia in 24 hours.

I would pour the entire bottle of TSS into the tank and add an ammonia source. Have your testing kit handy, you'll need it a lot.
After the ammonia is quickly processed, that's when I start to add more ammonia than I was before to give it even more strength.

Fish-keeper
There's no length of time that you can cycle it.
It's however long it takes the bacteria colony to fully establish and be able to process ammonia in 24 hours.

I would pour the entire bottle of TSS into the tank and add an ammonia source. Have your testing kit handy, you'll need it a lot.
After the ammonia is quickly processed, that's when I start to add more ammonia than I was before to give it even more strength.

I tested it yestday and it seemed fine so I think I will move them in three days.

Fanatic
Fish-keeper
You are doing a fish-in cycle?
No they are in another tank at the moment will moving them on Friday be fine?

Fanatic
No they are in another tank at the moment will moving them on Friday be fine?

You won't be cycled that quickly.
I'd give it at least two weeks.

Fish-keeper
You won't be cycled that quickly.
I'd give it at least two weeks.

I have used some water from an established tank as well as new water.

Fanatic
I have used some water from an established tank as well as new water.

You aren't going to become cycled with water, that's not where the bacteria colonize.

Fish-keeper
You aren't going to become cycled with water, that's not where the bacteria colonize.

I have tested everything and it is all fine, so my guess is it is fine to add them I asked a friend of mine who is a fish expert and said they are not going to suffer as I have used water from the other tank for part of the tank, and as long as I move themwhen all the other things are fine it will be safe he said that you can put the in after one week as they are not at all sensitive fish. He also said to float the media from the old tank on the top of the water so the good Bactria can be moved to the new tank.

mattgirl
I will try one time and one time only since it seems you trust your friend the fish expert. I am just wondering why you are asking us since you clearly have decided to follow his advice.

You can help jump start this tank by taking everything from your 6 gallon and put it in this tank. If your small tank was in fact cycled it will have some of the bacteria necessary to cycle a tank. I would be surprised if there is enough to accomplish an instant cycle in your new 55.

You need to move ALL of the filter media. All of the gravel and deco, all of the water and the fish. In other words .... move everything over and even then I don't think there could be enough bacteria to get an instant cycle. You don't need to float the media in the new tank. You need to put it in your filter housing so the water will run through it.

It will still take time to grow enough bacteria to consider this tank cycled. I am not sure you totally understand what it means to cycle a tank. Simply put it just means allowing a tank enough time to grow the bacteria necessary to process the ammonia fish add to the water.

TexasGuppy
Actually, I disagree. If a 6 gallon tank bacteria could handle say 1ppm/day ammonia from the fish, a 12g tank would only be .5ppm/day with the same fish. The same bacteria should be able to handle it immediately...

mattgirl
Actually, I disagree. If a 6 gallon tank bacteria could handle say 1ppm/day ammonia from the fish, a 12g tank would only be .5ppm/day with the same fish. The same bacteria should be able to handle it immediately...
I know you seem to enjoy correcting me and I accept it when I am not correct. Did I misunderstand the size of the tank? I was thinking 55 gallon but if it is in fact a 55 liter then you are correct.

bizaliz3
There is hardly any beneficial bacteria in the water column. And the tiny bit that is will die off with no ammonia source. So if you wait to add the fish it accomplishes nothing.

It really accomplishes nothing anyway since there's barely any a beneficial bacteria in the water column itself.

Even if you use the old filter on the new tank it will accomplish nothing if you leave it empty for a week. All that beneficial bacteria just dies

Fish-keeper
I will try one time and one time only since it seems you trust your friend the fish expert. I am just wondering why you are asking us since you clearly have decided to follow his advice.

You can help jump start this tank by taking everything from your 6 gallon and put it in this tank. If your small tank was in fact cycled it will have some of the bacteria necessary to cycle a tank. I would be surprised if there is enough to accomplish an instant cycle in your new 55.

You need to move ALL of the filter media. All of the gravel and deco, all of the water and the fish. In other words .... move everything over and even then I don't think there could be enough bacteria to get an instant cycle. You don't need to float the media in the new tank. You need to put it in your filter housing so the water will run through it.

It will still take time to grow enough bacteria to consider this tank cycled. I am not sure you totally understand what it means to cycle a tank. Simply put it just means allowing a tank enough time to grow the bacteria necessary to process the ammonia fish add to the water.

I can’t put the media in the filter housing as it will not fit. Also I asked for a second opinion.

There is hardly any beneficial bacteria in the water column. And the tiny bit that is will die off with no ammonia source. So if you wait to add the fish it accomplishes nothing.

It really accomplishes nothing anyway since there's barely any a beneficial bacteria in the water column itself.

Even if you use the old filter on the new tank it will accomplish nothing if you leave it empty for a week. All that beneficial bacteria just dies

So should I move the fish in a few days?

Here is the difference in size.

Here it is sorry I had some difficulty uploading first time.

Attachments

• F7F0F150-DC14-4E6C-91D9-4D31E942A550.jpeg
    F7F0F150-DC14-4E6C-91D9-4D31E942A550.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 111
bizaliz3
So should I move the fish in a few days?

The beneficial bacteria will be dead. Especially since you are not even using a source that has much beneficial bacteria. I am surprised that this supposed expert friend of yours would not be aware of the fact that using BB from an established tank accomplishes nothing if there are no fish put into it immediately. By waiting to add the fish, you are essentially UN-cycling the tank!

Throwing BB into a tank that has no fish and just waiting is NOT CYCLING THE TANK. Using water from an established tank does next to nothing to cycle the tank even if there are fish in it.

You should use media from the filter of an established tank if you want enough BB to actually help kick start a cycle. But again, fish are needed for this process to work. Not a few days later, but that very day.

You said you tested the water and it was fine. What were the readings?

Fish-keeper
The beneficial bacteria will be dead. Especially since you are not even using a source that has much beneficial bacteria. I am surprised that this supposed expert friend of yours would not be aware of the fact that using BB from an established tank accomplishes nothing if there are no fish put into it immediately. By waiting to add the fish, you are essentially UN-cycling the tank!

Throwing BB into a tank that has no fish and just waiting is NOT CYCLING THE TANK. Using water from an established tank does next to nothing to cycle the tank even if there are fish in it.

You should use media from the filter of an established tank if you want enough BB to actually help kick start a cycle. But again, fish are needed for this process to work. Not a few days later, but that very day.

You said you tested the water and it was fine. What were the readings?

So I should add them now,are you sure,will they get hurt.

Should I add them now?

bizaliz3
So I should add them now,are you sure,will they get hurt.

I don't think your tank is cycled.... I am trying to explain to you why what you did is NOT making it safe for the fish. So most likely you should not move them.

BUT....What is the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of the tank? I need to know those before telling you if I think it is ok or not. How long has it been running fishless??

What kind of filter are you using and what kind of filter is on your established tank?

Fish-keeper
I don't think your tank is cycled.... I am trying to explain to you why what you did is NOT making it safe for the fish. So most likely you should not move them.

BUT....What is the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of the tank? I need to know those before telling you if I think it is ok or not. How long has it been running fishless??

What kind of filter are you using and what kind of filter is on your established tank?

It has been running fish less for two days and I can not quite remember the results but they were all good.

bizaliz3
It has been running fish less for two days and I can not quite remember the results but they were all good.

You likely have no bb left if all you used was water from your other tank.

What do you use to test your water? And have you even tested it for the last 2 days?

Fish-keeper
You likely have no bb left if all you used was water from your other tank.

What do you use to test your water? And have you even tested it for the last 2 days?

I tested about an hour ago.

And I use tetra 6 in 1 strips.

bizaliz3

And you already forgot what the levels were?

Again I ask...what are you using to test and what are you testing for?

And again I ask...what filters are you using on each tank?

stella1979
bizaliz3 is steering you straight. The only thing that will tell you if the tank is safe is to run tests. You should really do some reading on the nitro cycle so you can better understand the advice here.

Like Biz said, a cycle will not survive without an ammonia source, i.e. fish. It's important to know your numbers, otherwise, you're assuming and hoping things will be fine, while in this case, it is very, very unlikely that the new tank is safe.

You have not added beneficial bacteria with the used water, as bb lives in a filter. The new tank is not cycled. Your tests may show that everything is fine, but that's because nothing is producing ammonia in the tank right now. You must have an ammonia source and wait for the beneficial bacteria to grow.

You should not move fish into this tank until you are certain you are cycled. The only thing that will tell you that is accurate testing. I suggest you pick up the API Master Kit as it is much more reliable than strips.

bizaliz3

And I use tetra 6 in 1 strips.

THOSE DONE EVEN TEST FOR AMMONIA!!!
And they are also notoriously inaccurate.

But test it again, what does it say your nitrates are? (since you already forgot)

Fish-keeper
bizaliz3 is steering you straight. The only thing that will tell you if the tank is safe is to run tests. You should really do some reading on the nitro cycle as like Biz said, a cycle will not survive without an ammonia source, i.e. fish. It's important to know your numbers, otherwise, you're assuming and hoping things will be fine, while in this case, it is very, very unlikely that the new tank is safe.

You have not added beneficial bacteria with the used water, as bb lives in a filter. You should not move fish into this tank until you are certain you are cycled. The only thing that will tell you that is accurate testing. I suggest you pick up the API Master Kit as it is much more reliable than strips.

Okay so how should I add BB,I have floated my filter media in the water,but can not put it in the filter as it is being used by the other tank.

THOSE DONE EVEN TEST FOR AMMONIA!!!
And they are also notoriously inaccurate.

But test it again, what does it say your nitrates are? (since you already forgot)

I am really sorry, but in my opinion everything I say you are telling me I am doing wrong I would like an accurate opinion.

bizaliz3
Okay so how should I add BB,I have floated my filter media in the water,but can not put it in the filter as it is being used by the other tank.
Floated it in what water? The new tank or old tank?

Are you saying your new tanks doesn't even have a filter???

Fish-keeper

Yes my new tank does have a filter, as I said I can’t out my astablished filter media in my new filter as it is being used for my other fish tank.

bizaliz3
Yes my new tank does have a filter, as I said I can’t out my astablished filter media in my new filter as it is being used for my other fish tank.

Which is why I keep asking you what kind of filters you are using. But for some reason you aren't answering that.

I am really sorry, but in my opinion everything I say you are telling me I am doing wrong I would like an accurate opinion.

You don't think what I am telling you is accurate?
Ok fine then. I will back off. But I assure you I am giving you very accurate advice. Take it or leave it.

I won't answer any more questions or offer any more advice if you don't want it.

Fish-keeper

So I will explain a bit better both the new and the old tank have filters have removed the filter media from one to tempererly float In the water to help with the BB, then I had to put it back as it is being used by the old tank.

Which is why I keep asking you what kind of filters you are using. But for some reason you aren't answering that.

You don't think what I am telling you is accurate?
Ok fine then. I will back off. But I assure you I am giving you very accurate advice. Take it or leave it.

I won't answer any more questions or offer any more advice if you don't want it.

I do want your advice and you have not asked once what filter I am using I am using a internal filter.

stella1979
IMO, you need to look at this like you're at day 1 and should do a fishless cycle. Here are some great instructions for that.
Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter

I really am sorry too... I mean that, but you do not seem to have a good understanding of the nitro cycle and how it works in the tank. Indeed, you are not doing things correctly, people are trying to help, yet you seem to disagree with the advice given. This becomes frustrating to people who are only trying to answer your questions. Please click on the following link... nitrogen cycle , then read the fishless cycle article linked above. I have used that method to cycle 7 tanks in the last year and have never had a problem with the cycles.

Fish-keeper
IMO, you need to look at this like you're at day 1 and should do a fishless cycle. Here are some great instructions for that.
Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter

I really am sorry too... I mean that, but you do not seem to have a good understanding of the nitro cycle and how it works in the tank. Indeed, you are not doing things correctly, people are trying to help, yet you seem to disagree with the advice given. This becomes frustrating to people who are only trying to answer your questions. Please click on the following link... nitrogen cycle , then read the fishless cycle article linked above. I have used that method to cycle 7 tanks in the last year and have never had a problem with the cycles.

I except you opinion however I read all theys things and everything that I am doing it says to do it on the forums and the other thing the lady and the pet store said I could add them in 3 days time I decided to leave it a week instead. I am asking you how to get benificial bacteria without any chemicals.

bizaliz3
I do want your advice and you have not asked once what filter I am using I am using a internal filter.

yes I did. See post #22 AND post #17 (are you even reading my whole posts)

Floating media in the water doesn't accomplish much at all. There is no water flowing through it, therefor its just stagnantly sitting there. (And the BB is dying off due to lack of ammonia source anyway) You want to actually put the seeded media into the new filter for it to accomplish anything. This is why a lot of people keep extra media in their established filters so they can use it to jump start a new tank without taking it all away from the established tank. But again, it needs to be placed into the new filter. Not floating in the water. And the fish need to be added immediately

But I will back off now. I have already spent a lot of time trying to help (and I am supposed to be working) and I am afraid it may have been a waste of my time :-(

I except you opinion however I read all theys things and everything that I am doing it says to do it on the forums and the other thing the lady and the pet store said I could add them in 3 days time I decided to leave it a week instead. I am asking you how to get benificial bacteria without any chemicals.

Ok....this post just proves that I have COMPLETELY wasted my time. I am done now. Good luck with everything. Hopefully you have hardy fish that will be able to tolerate a fish-in cycle. You killed off whatever BB you had by letting the tank sit empty. (not that you had much anyway)

Fish-keeper
yes I did. See post #22 AND post #17 (are you even reading my whole posts)

Floating media in the water doesn't accomplish much at all. There is no water flowing through it, therefor its just stagnantly sitting there. (And the BB is dying off due to lack of ammonia source anyway) You want to actually put the seeded media into the new filter for it to accomplish anything. This is why a lot of people keep extra media in their established filters so they can use it to jump start a new tank without taking it all away from the established tank. But again, it needs to be placed into the new filter. Not floating in the water. And the fish need to be added immediately

But I will back off now. I have already spent a lot of time trying to help (and I am supposed to be working) and I am afraid it may have been a waste of my time :-(

Ok....this post just proves that I have COMPLETELY wasted my time. I am done now. Good luck with everything. Hopefully you have hardy fish that will be able to tolerate a fish-in cycle. You killed off whatever BB you had by letting the tank sit empty. (not that you had much anyway)

So if I put the media in I can add them now?

TexasGuppy
I know you seem to enjoy correcting me and I accept it when I am not correct. Did I misunderstand the size of the tank? I was thinking 55 gallon but if it is in fact a 55 liter then you are correct.
Just trying to learn, nothing personal.
On that note, I found a study that showed nitrosomonas had a death rate of 43%-66% after 4-5 days without ammonia.
Nitrobacter had a death rate of 17%-21% after less than one day without nitrite.

bizaliz3

If you put it into the filter.
But you have to be able to take just some of it and not all. Or else your established tank will fail.

Right now you can't even test for ammonia with the strips you have. And that is a problem.

I will not give you the "ok" to add fish to this tank when you can't tell me what the levels are. I'm sorry.

If you want to do it while not having the means to test the water, I would do a small daily water change with seachem prime for the next few weeks. Or just cross your fingers that they survive. Or get a testing kit so you have a better idea of when the water is safe for the fish.

TexasGuppy
If you can somehow attach it to the new filter where the water flows I think so.
Can you cut it up to make it fit?
How long did you float it in the tank?

P.s. I'm assuming you are moving ALL the fish over...

bizaliz3
P.s. I'm assuming you are moving ALL the fish over...

Gosh I hope that is not the case.....because if it is, then we really have wasted our time. If everyone is being moved to the new tank, then move everything including the filter to the new tank....done....

stella1979
OK... First of all, do not trust pet store employees. Not that they're all bad, but few are really experienced and their ultimate goal is to make a sale.

I don't know what you mean by doing everything it says to do on forums. I love this forum to pieces, but it is all anecdotal advice, or in other words, just about anybody's opinion including my own. However, there is scientific data that adds up to hard and fast rules on cycling tanks. It is up to you to do lots of reading, find who you find to be dependable, (again, Biz wouldn't steer you wrong), and go from there.

Without chemicals... okay, well ammonia is a chemical I suppose, but it is the exact thing that your fish will produce. Bacteria will naturally grow in your filter, you do not add beneficial bacteria to a tank. Well, that's debatable. You can try using bottled bacteria, but it doesn't always work... not the point though.

Ammonia must be added in some form, be it pure bottled ammonia, using fish food and waiting for it to rot, or using the fish themselves. Using fish is what's known as a fish in cycle, which I find to be cruel to fish if not done very, very carefully. This means daily water changes, possibly for several months, and lots and lots of testing to boot. A fishless cycle doesn't take as long, and there's no danger of hurting fish. Either way, ammonia is needed because that is what beneficial bacteria eat. They need it to thrive and grow to a population large enough to support your stock. You may use bottled ammonia without using bottled bacteria, as the beneficial bacteria needed for your cycle will appear as long as ammonia is in the water. I have used bottled bacteria several times, probably at least ten. How many times has it sped my cycle? Exactly once. You do not need bacteria... you need an ammonia source.

SSJ
Well, u may say I'm old school..though I'm new. I don't have a testing kit, but I'm still cycling.. since 8 weeks..20-25% water change. Though I check their activity/movements very closely...when I feel they are active..I skip the water change. Plus added pothos plant in the tank as well..with lot of other plants...this works for me..not sure if all will agree to this

Ms rose
also check ph, it plays a large roll in how well and fast your bb grows

EDIT TO AD I had to learn this the hard way, and as soon as I got it back on track, my cycle started right back up no problem. within three days it was basicly cycled, by the 1 week mark I had a cycled tank that to this day has never had an ammonia or nitrite spike not even a little one. def check ph lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
  • Question
Replies
Views
FitSoldier
Top Bottom