How Long Should I Acclimate Mystery Snails?

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just bought 3 mystery snails for my 36 gallon tank. The cashier wasn’t paying attention and only charged for 1 lol. I’ve been acclimating them for 10 minutes so far replacing 50% of the water every 5 minutes. How long should I do it?

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just bought 3 mystery snails for my 36 gallon tank. The cashier wasn’t paying attention and only charged for 1 lol. I’ve been acclimating them for 10 minutes so far replacing 50% of the water every 5 minutes. How long should I do it?
I was told to use the same process as a fish when i first got snails. And since i know you know how to do that i wont bore you with details lol

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I usually acclimate fish 30 minutes to 1 hour (depending on species). Is that fine for the snails?

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
36 gallon. They are now eating some broccoli with my bristlenose pleco.
If they are healthy it's okay in my opinion.
It's like with all my tanks. They are probably overstocked and haven;t quite got the right numbers of fish, but they are all healthy and happy. If they were unhappy they'd die of stress.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have 30 mystery snails??
No. OP said "3". YOU are seeing ghost zeros lol! Oh, CaptAnnDaniel has 30....NEVER MIND...

What size is the tank? You're only supposed to have 1 mystery snail per 5 gallons.
I have 7 in my 30 gallon along with 7 guppys. If you have adequate filtration, an appropriate species mix, are diligent with water changes, and tank maintenance, you can overstock anything.

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All of the snails are doing well. Except one that had a hole in its shell that I didn’t notice when I bought it. Somehow I found eggs even though the snails are less than 1 inch

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can have more if you have the filtration and do the work of the water changes. I also actually feed my snails real snail food and snello ..they are perfectly happy and healthy
I thought I'd looked EVERYWHERE and still haven't found food made especially snails. What is it called? Where and did you find it?:wideyed:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom