How Long Of A Break In Between Buying Fish Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Epicoz, Apr 19, 2019.

1. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Hiw long do you need to wait before buying more fish after buying fish

2. Susie11Valued MemberMember

What kind of fish

3. BettaishValued MemberMember

Tetras and like size fish: 3 about every 2 weeks
    Guppy size fish: 2 every two weeks
    Small and medium Cichlids: Typically same as guppies
    Larger cichlids and goldfish: One every 2 weeks
    In general I do two weeks, but it really depends on the situation.

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

There's not really a black and white answer for this.
    It depends on how many fish, what kind of fish, current stock of fish and tank size, and most importantly, how established your tank is.

Can you give more details?

5. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

What are you planning to add?

7. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I like every 2 weeks. Now it’s how many? And what type to decide how many to add.

8. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

It depends upon how many quarantine tanks you have set up. You are of course quarantining all new fish purchases for at least several weeks before adding them to an existing tank...right?

If you are simply going into a fish store every 2 or 3 weeks and buying more fish which are then placed directly into your established tank...then you are setting yourself up for a crash course in dealing with diseases, parasites and unwanted hitchhikers. It's just a question of "when?", not "if?".

9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes so true! For your best success in fish keeping a qt tank should be the first place for new fish. Doesn’t have to be big. Even a 5 gal for new fish for a few weeks would really help. Better to find out the fish is sick in a qt tank than in your main tank. Where everything in it gets sick as well.

10. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I don’t use a quarentine tank and I’ve never had problems I just acclimate them and put them in

11. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Well, then, I'm certain that will continue to work for you. :)

12. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Are you being sarcastic I can’t tell sarcasm 2-3 weeks right?

13. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Do you mean 2-3 weeks between fish purchases? If so, I don't think there's any way to answer that question. A couple weeks is probably a reasonable average in terms of not suddenly increasing the bioload in a typical tank too much at one time. It will give your population of beneficial bacteria a chance to increase to cope with the increased production of ammonia and waste. The biggest variable would be tank size and population. Adding a second fish of similar size to a tank that contains only one up to that point is literally doubling the bioload; adding a dozen fish to a tank that already contains 50 is a much larger overall bioload increase, but a much smaller percentage increase that the already-larger bacterial population can "catch up with" more easily.

But I do absolutely believe that failing to quarantine will inevitably lead to problems. It will work just fine (if I may use that detestable phrase) once, twice...a dozen times...but it will eventually lead to problems that could have easily been averted or mitigated by following a simple quarantine regimen.

14. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I have five gallon I could do a quarentine

This is unrealated but is it weird that all 3 of my tetras stay apart from each other and I have a big one that stays mainly at the bottom of the tank

Pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  15. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

after they've be QT'ed would be the minimum.

16. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

How long do you have to qt them

Do you think that the fish I just got will be ok they don’t look like they have ich and they are swimming around well and energetic

Is it ok if my qt tank is bare. Also I should just transfer some filter media over and use some api instant start then qurentine them I have a few decorations I can put in or I can trim a little java moss and put it in

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  17. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes a bare tank is fine. Moving some media to the qt is also fine. How long has the 20 been running? New fish should be put in the qt. 2 weeks easy just to make sure they don’t have ick. A month to be sure they have nothing else.
    What I would do for new fish is take 5 gal out of the 20 put it in the 5 and add filter media to 5 gal filter. I have this extra media in my bigger tanks now if needed. Yes some plants and a rock or 2 would be fine. Gives them a place to hide.
    The tetras May need a few more to school together. But I’ve had tetras that didn’t all school together. They did at first but after being in the tank a few months started swimming alone. I just take it that they felt safe in the tank. They school for safety in numbers.

18. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I see one Tetra and one Zebra Danio in your picture.

19. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Sorry hard to get all of them they seem fine now probaly stress or they were just getting acquainted

20. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

i like to QT for 3 weeks b/c the ich life cycle lasts 2-3 weeks depending on the temp.

its best to bare bottom, easy to clean and take down. i have a piece of pvc pipe for them to hide. and a few floating plants. i run 2 filters in all my tanks, so i just move one over to the QT when I buy a new fish.