How Long Have Your Guppies Lasted?

1. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

I have 4 male guppies. When I search online I get wildly different estimates for guppy life expectancy, from 12 months (which might mean they only live 6 months from being bought at a store) to 3-5 years.

If you have kept guppies, of the ones that seemed to die of "old age", how long did they/have they lasted?

2. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

I've never had guppies, but I have had ghost shrimp and snails which also are said to have a 1 year life span. They always last a few months.

3. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

About 2-3 years.

4. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

2-3 years would be great! I hope my lot last that amount of time. I would hate to lose them every few months :(

5. EmmyFish

EmmyFish Valued Member Member

Yeah if they died that often that'd be horrible. I had White Cloud Fish for 5 years and it died of old age :(

6. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Aw EmmyFish - it must have been well cared for to live such a long life.

We had an albino cory in our childhood tank that lasted 8 years, it was like a friend :)

7. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

I've just realised that there is a guppy sub-forum!! I posted the same question on the beginners forum but didn't get many replies. Hoping to have more luck here.

There are wildly different estimates of guppy lifespan floating around the internet from 6-12 months to 3-5 years. What has been your experience with store-bought guppies? How long have they lasted in your tank?

Thanks!

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic

9. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Sorry, I'm new here and didn't know. Is there a way to ask for threads to be moved in future? Thanks.

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, you can message one of the mods to move it for you or you could tag them on the thread using @ in front of their name

11. Mosaic Guppy Keeper

Mosaic Guppy Keeper New Member Member

I've had mine for like 3 days now so fingers crossed they will last long!

12. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Ime, the ones bought from the store live 6months - 1year after j bring them home. The ones I breed and raise myself still haven't died yet, the oldest being about 3.5 years.

13. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

About two years if you keep the water clean. Three years is very good. The tank temp influences metabolism. Guppies in 74F will outlive guppies at 82F in the absence of disease.

14. R

Rebecca Mize New Member Member

Because Guppies live longest in 74F water versus 80F what other tank mates do they do well with? Or should they be kept in a species only tank because they like it at 74F?

15. O

I didn't mean to imply guppies must be kept at 74F, but optimum is perhaps in the 72-76 range. Others would disagree with that. They are pretty versatile as far as temp. They do start living fast at 80+ in my experience. Guppies generally do well with other live-bearers, non-aggressive tetras, corys etc. As long as everyone has space I have rarely had any aggression problems with that combo.

16. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

I used to have many pretty Guppies in my tank together with Mollies. I thought when they were breeding well and had so many strains and colors I made a mistake of putting in fish from another shop which introduced disease and wiped out 1/2 the population of Mollies and destroyed all my Guppies including the baby fry. I think till this day that disease probably is inherent to the survivors and their offspring. I had two Mollies die of pine cone disease which I never seen whilst my tank was 2 years running before Armageddon hit.

17. O

Once I get a healthy tank going I really hate to add more fish from outside. I use a QT so the risk is lessened but you really have to keep them in their a long time to be completely sure.

18. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

That's true because how can you spot disease other than obvious signs of spots, clamped find or white fluff (fungus growths).

19. O

The bacterial issues are tough sometimes. I've only had one tragedy and I caused it with one guppy when I skipped QT. Pretty much wiped out a 60G community in ten days and never did know what caused it.

20. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I have 4 male guppies right now that have been with me for a year. I also had 2 that were purchased at the same time die of unknown reaons within a week of each other about 2 months ago.

No signs of illness or lethargy eating well The day before and passed away sometime in the night. All other tank mates were fine.

I guess it really depends on the stock.