How Long For Pond Snails To Populate?

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I purposely tossed in 10 pond snails into my 40 gallon tank to feed my peapuffers in my 10 gallon. How long until I have a steady stream of snails? In the meantime, could I just feed the puffers weekly?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They do populate pretty quickly, in a month you should have a good amount of snails. For a puffer you may also want to consider growing ramshorn they get a bit bigger than the bladder snails.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Really? These puffers are at their max size of 1 in. Not sure they could eat this snail. Almost adult angelfish for scale. Would weekly feedings be sustainable?

Attachments

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are those actual pond snails (rather than bladder snail)? Sorry people on here often call bladder snails pond snails. Ramshorn would be snaller than pond snails.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you mean once a week for the puffers? If so, no not really. They should be fed much more often. Also, snails aren't the only option for them, they can be fed live bloodworms and other high protein food, mostly live food. If you mean weekly feedings for the snails, they populate based on available food source, so you won't get as many.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, I have tried to feed the puffers frozen blood worms in the past which are admittedly a little thick, but if my neon tetras can gobble down them, then these puffers should have no problem. The puffers are just uninterested in my bloodworms. These appear to be actual pond snails.

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a pond snail in the pic - pond snails have dextral shells & bladder snails have sinistral shells.

Cris77

Reaction score
If they are regular everyday pond snails they don't need another to breed..... A full belly and a good night's sleep and bam! Stickey egg sacks everywhere.... Im currently fighting an infestation, coming from a hitchhiking snail on my plant...... What a nightmare... So be sure you need the snails... I collect and sadly destroy about 30 to 100 daily in a 60 gallon.. And just when I think I've got them all.... A new wave appears..... I have a red fined botia to help, but even he can only do so much! Give them a little time. You'll see a sack that looks like spit...... Then the eggs become visable in little rows, they darken, and then the sack is gone and in a few day you see them all one the glass! Trus me.... . They'll be there just give it a little time.... All you can eat buffet for the puffer in a month or less!!!!

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a couple bladder snail farms and they populate quickly , you will find a clear gelatinous substance attached to pretty much anything including the glass in front of your face. These lil mollusks have no shame and will have all sorts of bow chicka bow wow ! The egg sacks hatch in about 10 days and the cycle continues constantly ! Like I said no shame lol. The picture with just 4 eggs is at about day 9 and the other picture with more eggs is at about day 1-3.

CA0B663A-19E6-44AB-9BEB-8D1557121C82.jpeg
BD51C115-EA73-4D99-8044-75FC7AA3B271.jpeg
Here are a few under the microscope at around day 8.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom