How long for guppy labor to complete?

cdianne

How long for a pregnant female guppy to birth all her offspring?

I’ve seen 1-2 babies yesterday morning, but of the two females both look pregnant still. I assumed the much larger one was the parent but I’m not all too sure. I was going to pull the adults from the tank once the birthing completed.

Thanks for the guidance!

jkkgron2

My endlers usually take 1-2 days to have all their baby’s. They’re not guppy’s but very close related so I think that the time frame should be similar.

FishBoy101

cdianne said:
How long for a pregnant female guppy to birth all her offspring?

I’ve seen 1-2 babies yesterday morning, but of the two females both look pregnant still. I assumed the much larger one was the parent but I’m not all too sure. I was going to pull the adults from the tank once the birthing completed.

Thanks for the guidance!
Longest I've had was a week for my guppies.

cdianne

d
jkkgron2 said:
My endlers usually take 1-2 days to have all their baby’s. They’re not guppy’s but very close related so I think that the time frame should be similar.
Thank you for the response. I read somewhere that darkness, lack of light is preferred so I have only natural light in the room to hopefully not delay the birthing. Have you found this to be true?

cdianne

FishBoy101 Oh wow. okay. Definitely hoping for a little less prolonged.
Are there visible signs when the labor has completed?

FishBoy101

cdianne said:
FishBoy101 Oh wow. okay. Definitely hoping for a little less prolonged.
Are there visible signs when the labor has completed?
Yes, the female's stomach is smaller.

cdianne

(may be somewhat obvious, of course.. but I considered how human pregnancies still leave the pelvic region distended.. ha)

jkkgron2

cdianne said:
d

Thank you for the response. I read somewhere that darkness, lack of light is preferred so I have only natural light in the room to hopefully not delay the birthing. Have you found this to be true?
Yeah. Mine usually give birth overnight or after the lights have been turned off.

cdianne

FishBoy101 & jkkgron2
Is it possible for her to have offspring developed at different stages? She still has a gravid spot but there is a fry in there, which has been there, since this initial post.

Secondly, does the gravid spot disappear after birthing?

Thank you,

jkkgron2

cdianne said:
FishBoy101 & jkkgron2
Is it possible for her to have offspring developed at different stages? She still has a gravid spot but there is a fry in there, which has been there, since this initial post.

Secondly, does the gravid spot disappear after birthing?

Thank you,
It’s possible, sometimes it can take a few days (or a week) for all the fry to be born. It might disappear, I’m not sure if it fully disappears or just gets smaller.

Top Bottom