How Long For Columnaris Worms To Show?

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 25 fish in QT, only treating with 2-3 treatments of prazi as preventative. Reading about Columnaris worms, and they are a nightmare. I plan on having these guys in QT for a few months, to grow them out ( they came in as almost fry ), and to observe them longer. I don't want to treat with Levamisole flakes as a preventative for obvious reasons. How long till Columnaris worms show if there are any? Thanks

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you mean camallanus worms.

They could show up any day, in my experience, very suddenly. Just keep an eye out for them.

If they are livebearing fish they are more likely to have it (can be transferred to fry) but a few months qt sounds fine. They would show within that time if they had them.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes, if we are talking levamisole, we are talking camallanus worms.

I had no idea they had levamisole flakes. I wonder how well they work....

Anyway, I just want to share that levamisole is pretty well tolerated by fish of all ages. I had a group of brand new, just started free swimming angelfish fry, survive the full treatment of levamisole powder in their tank. I was shocked. All my inverts survived too. Even though some people were saying it would kill them.

Here's the thing. If you choose to wait until you notice signs and it turns out they do have them, it is often too late to save them by the time you actually notice. And at that point, they probably aren't interested in eating anyway. So the flakes are pointless.

If you decide to gamble and not treat preventively, then I would wait at least 2 months before moving them into the main tank.

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I'm in a rush, setting up a brine shrimp growout and doing wc's on the qt tank, sorry about the typo. Thanks a lot! Also, what powdered levamisole can you recommend? There's a bunch of different ones that I'm finding, or are they all the same? Also, if I treat with levamisole, should I scrap the prazi, and should I do the full treatment? ( 2 treatments 3 weeks apart )

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's not really a typo though cause columnaris is another fish disease o_O

You could scrap the prazi after levamisole, though it wouldn't harm to use both.

I use this Australian one called avitrol plus. If you're in Canada or Australia though they are harder to find because levamisole is illegal unless in the form of an animal wormer (they use it in cocaine).

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Discus-Tang I am aware. I'm in the US, getting it wouldn't be a problem. My main concern is using something so strong as a preventative. Then again, camallanus worms are really hard to get rid of. Can't imagine having to tear down a 75g tank and bleaching everything, and losing the fish.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Levimasole flakes/ or pancur flakes. Fish dont like the taste of pancur.
Levimasole can be a harsh drug, but i dont see the harm in de-worming them every so often
The life cycle of camallanus worm is 3 weeks, 19 days to be exact

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Igor95 said:
My main concern is using something so strong as a preventative
I really don't think it is as "strong" as you are thinking. If it were, there wouldn't have been newborn baby angels who survived it without a hitch.
The problem is, if you noticed during research, people were using MUCH different doses. Some dose sizes being 5-10x what I used. And I am sure when you use way too much like that, it can be harmful. But if you use the doseage in the link I sent you, I don't see any harm in it. Newborn angelfish babies can be really sensitive. So....I just don't think it is as harsh as you are thinking.

@tfreema uses both prazi and levamisole in her QT. Maybe she can talk to you about her experience there.

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@bizaliz3, I've seen levamisole from different companies, and most have different dosages. @tfreema, whenever you are available, please advise what your dosage is like and what brand you use. Thank you!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Igor95 said:
@bizaliz3, I've seen levamisole from different companies, and most have different dosages
According to who? The stuff isn't made for fish. So the makers of the product give no suggested dose for fish. The dose suggestions are from other hobbiests mostly. The brand I got was "prohibit" and I got it on Amazon. I read dozens of threads all over the internet with people using the same product with drastically different choices of dosage. Some being significantly higher than what is necessary. That's what I am referring to.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did 3 doses 2 weeks apart. But I actually had the worms. I wasn't doing it preventativly.

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, 1 last question. Can I use prime before medicating with Prazi? Or should I wait 48 hours? As far as I've found, Prime has the same active ingredient as Amquel that they recommend

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom