How long for Amazon sword to establish?

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve had this ruffled Amazon sword for almost three months and not happy with how it looks. I’ve trimmed many dead/clearish leaves. For how long is the melting phase supposed to last? Is it just not a good fit for my tank for whatever reason, and time to move on to something different?

Attachments

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you fertilizing? Do you have many fish to supply nutrients? What are your nitrates? You could need potassium as well but let's see.

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fisheye said:
Are you fertilizing? Do you have many fish to supply nutrients? What are your nitrates? You could need potassium as well but let's see.
Yes, I have Flourish Comprehensive, Potassium, and Phosphorus - twice a week. Plus API CO2 at least 3-4 times a week. And Flourish root tabs.

11 harlequins, 9 neons, 8 Corys, 1 guppy, 1 molly, 5 mystery snails, 1 nerite in a 56 gal.

Nitrates pretty steadily sit around 15 or so. I also have water wisteria, java fern, and anubias that are all thriving.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I'm stumped other than your nitrates may be considered bit low for plants. What's your water change schedule all about?

Wonder if you'd start a new thread because it's more than one plant and something's going on for low maintenance plants to be not thriving. My brain is not pinging on anything atm.

I guess address lighting and photoperiod as well and how tall is your tank.

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fisheye said:
Well I'm stumped other than your nitrates may be considered bit low for plants. What's your water change schedule all about?

Wonder if you'd start a new thread because it's more than one plant and something's going on for low maintenance plants to be not thriving. My brain is not pinging on anything atm.

I guess address lighting and photoperiod as well and how tall is your tank.
I change about 25% once a week.

Wondering if you misread - the other three plants are doing excellent.

The tank is 24” tall and has an Aqueon OptiBright Max. About 8 hours/day.

Appreciate the thoughts so far!

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind and how deep is your substrate? It might be that it's not enjoying being so close to the glass/in between decor if those go deep?
Were the roots ok on it when you got it?
The leaves look like it may have an iron or nitrogen deficiency rather than melt

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What a nice way to put it-thank you! I totally misread. :;bananapurple

It wouldn't be totally out in left field to get a weak plant. That's all I've got! You seem to have your dosing and lighting sorted so....my assessment is bad plant.

Haha!

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Falena said:
What kind and how deep is your substrate? It might be that it's not enjoying being so close to the glass/in between decor if those go deep?
Were the roots ok on it when you got it?
The leaves look like it may have a nitrogen deficiency rather than melt
The substrate is CaribSea Peace River - a very fine gravel/coarse sand. About 2.5” deep there. Roots all seemed fine and plant looked healthy when I got it.

Should I try adding Flourish Nitrogen to the regimen? I do think I will eventually switch over to Easy Green or Thrive, but would prefer to use up all the Flourish product I currently have.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My ruffle sword took nearly a year to decide it liked my tank. For a while i thought it would fold up and die but after about 10 months it started to really grow and now it is 20 inches high and nearly was wide and i wish it would slow down. Also adding co2 really perked it up. I'm not suggesting you need to add co2 but i am saying that sword plants i have without co2 can take a while to perk up.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im having sword issues too. My Vals are EXPLODING and my swords looks sad. I just had to cut like 7 leaves off mine. Following to see what advice is given.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
doughboy52 said:
The substrate is CaribSea Peace River - a very fine gravel/coarse sand. About 2.5” deep there. Roots all seemed fine and plant looked healthy when I got it.

Should I try adding Flourish Nitrogen to the regimen? I do think I will eventually switch over to Easy Green or Thrive, but would prefer to use up all the Flourish product I currently have.
Ok, substrate should be fine as long as it's not too compressed or tight back there.
Uhm, seeing as I can't exactly pin point 100% which deficiency it has. It would probably work out cheaper to switch to thrive when your done with your current ones rather than buying nitrogen, in all honesty.
It could be iron, nitrogen or potassium.
Just a thought, are you keeping your seachem products in the refrigerator? I personally dose flourish and api leaf zone because thriveC is not available in my country. But seachem flourish comprehensive requires refrigeration after 3 months of being open because it de-potinates, not sure if this applies to their other liquid ferts too

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I find it takes melon swords 4 to 8 months to full melt and regrow in non-co2 tank. To be honest even with co2 they don't do much better. peace river is nice substrate (I am familiar with it). I will say that my crypt took off like mad in a 20 long - but that is another story and it isn't a sword plant. In my 120 i have two giant swords but i can't really comment too much as both plants struggled a lot until i put in co2. Again i'm not saying you need to add co2 they will grow without co2 but just a lot slower and you should not be shocked if it takes a year to get some decent growth. Also make sure it is not shaded (floating plants or what have you). I find my swords love lots of light.
--
I've posted this before but this is in a 120 which is 2 feet high. The ruffle is the one in the middle back.
When i first put it in this tank it was in front middle but once i added co2 it became too large and i had to replant it. This tank has been setup for a year BUT this plant came from my tank before I moved so i've had it for 18 months. For over 12 months it was a little front plant so it took quite a while for it to decide i was an ok parent.

Adding more fertilizer isn't going to help - just a lot of light, time and if you want to mess with it co2 (I don't really recommend co2 because the plant is a lot nicer when smaller).

6.jpg

StarGirl15 said:
Im having sword issues too. My Vals are EXPLODING and my swords looks sad. I just had to cut like 7 leaves off mine. Following to see what advice is given.

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jake37 said:
My ruffle sword took nearly a year to decide it liked my tank. For a while i thought it would fold up and die but after about 10 months it started to really grow and now it is 20 inches high and nearly was wide and i wish it would slow down. Also adding co2 really perked it up. I'm not suggesting you need to add co2 but i am saying that sword plants i have without co2 can take a while to perk up.
Wow, 10 months! That’s a lot of patience. And I was worried about 3 months. I guess I can keep riding it out, though the vacant back right corner of my tank drives me crazy!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
I find it takes melon swords 4 to 8 months to full melt and regrow in non-co2 tank. To be honest even with co2 they don't do much better. peace river is nice substrate (I am familiar with it). I will say that my crypt took off like mad in a 20 long - but that is another story and it isn't a sword plant. In my 120 i have two giant swords but i can't really comment too much as both plants struggled a lot until i put in co2. Again i'm not saying you need to add co2 they will grow without co2 but just a lot slower and you should not be shocked if it takes a year to get some decent growth. Also make sure it is not shaded (floating plants or what have you). I find my swords love lots of light.
This is why I cringe when people say swords are easy low light beginners plants....no they are not.

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
Vals are one of the ones I started researching in case I decide to give up on the sword!

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Falena said:
Ok, substrate should be fine as long as it's not too compressed or tight back there.
Uhm, seeing as I can't exactly pin point 100% which deficiency it has. It would probably work out cheaper to switch to thrive when your done with your current ones rather than buying nitrogen, in all honesty.
It could be iron, nitrogen or potassium.
Just a thought, are you keeping your seachem products in the refrigerator? I personally dose flourish and api leaf zone because thriveC is not available in my country. But seachem flourish comprehensive requires refrigeration after 3 months of being open because it de-potinates, not sure if this applies to their other liquid ferts too
Thanks. I did just start with the iron a couple weeks ago. Also part of why I want to switch to Thrive or similar because I have about 5 Seachem fert bottles haha.

I didn’t know that about Flourish and refrigeration. My bottle is about 3 months old now.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
doughboy52 said:
Wow, 10 months! That’s a lot of patience. And I was worried about 3 months. I guess I can keep riding it out, though the vacant back right corner of my tank drives me crazy!
Yeah you see all these tanks with lush plants....they are years in. It really is aggravating waiting for them to grow! :hilarious: Hang in there!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well they are easy in the sense they don't die. I haven't had a regular sword die in a long time and only one of my tank has co2 - the others don't. They just don't grow very fast. The only sword that is giving me a lot of problems growing is purple aflame (a sword plant that is nearly all purple).
-
However, there are prettier plants. Two plants i would suggest (if you want to try something else) are crypts wenditi - this thing grows like mad if you give it some light and it comes in both a nice green colour and a redish brown colour. The other plant that i have found fantastic is apongeton bolivianus and i guess a third would be Aponogeton ulvaceus. All three of those grow nice and quickly without co2 in the proper environment. Oh and guppies are fantastic at feeding plants.

StarGirl15 said:
This is why I cringe when people say swords are easy low light beginners plants....no they are not.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have many swords. What I found best is to not plant the bottom of the plant completely in the substrate. I leave a little bit out. Deeper substrate I find works well, gives the roots plenty of space to grow. And root tabs. I like to use aquarium coop easy green and iron for fertilizer.

OP
doughboy52

doughboy52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jake37 said:
For over 12 months it was a little front plant so it took quite a while for it to decide i was an ok parent.
:hilarious:Funny you say that, I also said I just want to be a good fish (and plant) dad!

New Threads