How Long Does Velvet Ich Last?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JesusIsLove912, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JesusIsLove912

JesusIsLove912Valued MemberMember

Its been 4 days still has it. Just want fish to be better already. :(

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I'm sorry your fish is sick! How long have you had the fish, how long has it been ill, and what methods have you used to treat it? Also, what are your water parameters and tank size?

3. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

Ive had the fish for a couple of months. Its been ill since I got it. I've been trying to find out what's wrong with it forever. Finally figured out it has velvet ich. Been 4 days since ive been treating it. Im treating it with imagitarium (some petco preferred) herbal ich treatment. I also did a water change and added water that was 80-81°, its usually 78-79. Dont have a heater with thermometer. Just hoping this petco ich treatment works. Been 4 days since i started using it. Still see the gold dust specks:(

4. meyowmeow

Well ich and velvet are 2 different conditions and sometimes require different treatment approaches. Do you have pictures of your affected fish? Also, what size is your tank? Do you have a water test kit? If not I recommend purchasing the API master freshwater kit. A liquid kit will be your best and most accurate test.

Also, if it is truly velvet then you may need to black out the tank with something to avoid getting any light.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

36 gallons. Im positive its velvet 3a3306ed3c6bedb2f76b766f26ba9ac9.jpg

So medication alone wont treat velvet??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. meyowmeow

Medication alone can treat velvet but velvet cannot operate without light. If you are able to black out the tank for a few days you might see a vast improvement! I can't see from the pics - too blurry but I know how that goes! Seeming any better today?

7. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

So put a towel over it ? Are you positive that will work ? Wont that stress the fish?

8. meyowmeow

No, that will actually reduce your fishes stress

9. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

Everytime i do it, they go crazy because there's no light?

10. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Velvet can be very hard to treat. I would follow the instructions exactly. Even then it may not cure your fish. I would make sure all 4 sides of the tank are completely covered with no light at all. Just peek at them every so often to check on them.

What meds are you using?

11. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

Imagitarium. Petco preferred med for ich and velvet. My fish panic when i put towel over them?

12. AllieSten

Your fish can die from velvet. So either cover them to get rid of it, and deal with a few minutes of panic initially, or the worse alternative. The fish will be fine after a few minutes. Plus the tank needs to be covered for days, so don't keep taking the towel off and on. They will be fine with it.

What are the actual medicines listed in the ingredients? Some velvet medicines will not work if exposed to the light while in use. So another reason to keep the tank covered as much as possible until the velvet is completely gone.

Edit: Here is a step by step treatment guide using aquarium salt, heat, & darkness to treat. Might be an option. If you decide to switch treatments, be sure to do water changes so that you get rid of the current meds in the tank. Plus you should add the carbon back in for 12-24 hours to get any excess meds completely removed before starting a new treatment.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  13. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

If it's Velvet (Oodinium) you need to black out the tank because this parasite is plant-like and can multiply through photosynthesis.

The average life cycle at tropical temperatures are roughly 2-3 weeks(same for ICH).

14. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

What do you mean by let carbon back in?

15. AllieSten

So if you have carbon in your filter pad, you are supposed to remove it before you medicate your tank. It soaks up all the medicine and doesn't treat the fish at all. What sort of filter and filter media do you have? Most of those biobag type cartridge open and you just have to dump the carbon out, then close it back up and put it back in the filter. The carbon in the filter media should be replaced every 3-4 weeks. I don't have any carbon in my filter at all. I just add it back when I need to remove meds or need to clean the water for some reason.

16. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

How do i know if i have carbon in my filter pad?

My water heater doesn't have thermometer. How can i heat my tank if i cant turn up heater?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  17. AllieSten

The little black rocks inside the filter pad is carbon. What is the brand of your filter? What kind of filter pads are they?

You will need an adjustable heater to be able to raise the temp. Do you have a thermometer too?

18. OP
    OP
    JesusIsLove912

Dont see any little black rocks

Tetra filter cartridge

My heater isnt adjustable. Guess i gotta get one

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  19. AllieSten

What size is your filter? Are they biobags or is it a plastic cartridge with hard plastic on one side and white cloth on the other?

20. OnTheFly

OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I hate to even post this but Petco doesn't sell any real medication for fish to my knowledge. I don't know why for sure. I went there for ich meds and left angry. Anyway, read the package. It should state it contains copper sulphate because that is the med to use for velvet since forever. I am going to guess it talks about herbal therapy and other nonsense. :mad: