Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How Long Does Seachem Prime Have The Potential To Interact With Ich-x?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by AquariumBill, May 19, 2019.

1. AquariumBill New Member Member

Hi all,

I have treated my tap water with Prime as long as I've had my aquarium. Where I live, there is naturally between 0.005 - 0.10 PPM nitrites in the water and as high as 1.0 in rare cases, so I've always treated when adding water after evaporation or doing a 25% water change.

I plan to treat my aquarium with Ich-X and did a 50% water change at first due to how rough my betta was looking, using Prime. This was 24 hours ago. When looking at the Ich-x label before treating I luckily discovered Ich-X is not supposed to be mixed with Prime as it is a sulfinate conditioner.

According to Seachem, Prime stays active for 24 to 48 hours. What I can't get a straight answer about is after the 48 hours, is there a still potential for INTERACTION even if it is not binding to ammonia and nitrites? At what point can I treat with Ich-X, or do I need to change out ALL the water?

2. richie.p Well Known Member Member

The way I read it after 48hrs prime stops working,
    Personally I'd leave it 72hrs before adding ich-x on the other hand if you want a direct answer e-mail Seachem they have a brilliant customer care and will respond to you pretty quick, someone else may jump in now I've started with a more constructive answer for yo . All the best

3. marshall1019 New Member Member

It won’t affect ich. Do not overdose orime.

4. AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Just use Hikari Ultimate. It also has chloride which will actually detoxify nitrite.