How Long Does It Take To Seed A New Filter? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by heybrittany, Apr 25, 2018.

1. heybrittany

heybrittany Valued Member Member

I got an aquaclear 50 yesterday for my 20 gallon tall. I cut half of the filter cartridge from my old one and stuck it in to help seed it as I couldn't fit both of the filters on the back of the tank with the lid fitting. (I have cats so they'd totally jump in or grab fish, I need a lid for sure lol) I'm only wondering because I want to take the old filter part out as soon as possible so I can fit the carbon bag back in. Thanks!

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I’d be leaving it in for a few months. You’ve got fish in the seeded tank right? To seed the tank and get it cycled you will need an ammonia source so the bacteria don’t starve.

Honestly you don’t need active carbon in a tank. It is mostly used for absorbing tank smell, discoloration from tannin and removing meds after treatment. I don’t think I have any active carbon in my tanks anymore as I’ pretty sure it would absorb and nuetralize the liquid ferts I add in.

3. OP
    OP
    heybrittany

Yes it's stocked and has been cycled for almost a year now. I just wanted to upgrade the filter.

I suppose I'll just leave it the way it is now lol. Thanks

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Ahh so you’re not starting a new tank. I’d simply move all the old media to the new filter plus the new media. I feel like it should all fit. I know I stuff all the media I can in my filters, most of it is just filter floss though.

5. OP
    OP
    heybrittany

The old cartridge didn't fit too well so I used wire cutters to snip it in half. I'll attach a picture. But in doing so it blocked some of the flow and I was scared to add even more stuff like the charcoal for fear of flooding lol. I had it in the front but that was way worse so hopefully it makes enough contact in the back. Does this change how long the old media should be in there? IMG_8665.JPG

6. OP
    OP
    heybrittany

Now I've noticed a loud noise coming from it. It's constant and is kind of humming but kind of like the last little bit of water being sucked up by the drain in a bath tub? Any ideas? It's annoying at night lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice