How long does it take to read ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Adavachi

Just started keeping fish about two weeks ago and I did some things that I later learned were not the greatest, but I'm learning! I have a TopFin 29 gal starter kit with some pygmy corys, a feed goldfish and I'm planning on adding some cherry barbs which are in quarantine right now. I have had the tank set up for two weeks now and I test the water everyday. I read some ammonia in the first week and did water changes when I read .25 ppm for two days in a row. My current readings use an API Master Test Kit are Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 and Nitrate = 0 Any thoughts?

Theulli

Ammonia should spike in a matter of days, not weeks, after adding fish or fish food. You may or may not ever get a nitrite reading.

I mean, if you had ammonia and now you don’t and everything is zero I would speculate that you either took too much ammonia out of the tank when you changed the water and you haven’t fully cycled or your water changes pulled the nitrates out. Without water changes or plants you should have nitrates if you are cycled, they have nowhere to go.
I would not do any water changes and monitor the water quality, you should find out pretty quick which it is, depending on if you start reading ammonia or nitrates. Nitrites...I have cycled several tanks that never gave a positive test.

Upvote 0

Adavachi

I have some anacharis that seems like it's living it's best life and growing like crazy. I have added some fertilizer though. I also have a couple of crypts. I don't think this is enough to show no nitrates though. I do have a quarantine tank that seems to be cycled though maybe I can take some media from there?

Upvote 0

Theulli

I have some anacharis that seems like it's living it's best life and growing like crazy. I have added some fertilizer though. I also have a couple of crypts. I don't think this is enough to show no nitrates though. I do have a quarantine tank that seems to be cycled though maybe I can take some media from there?
If it’s growing like crazy it could easily be why you aren’t seeing nitrates. I wouldn’t think you have a ton of bio load yet unless the goldfish is big.

Upvote 0

Adavachi

If it’s growing like crazy it could easily be why you aren’t seeing nitrates. I wouldn’t think you have a ton of bio load yet unless the goldfish is big.
The goldfish is only about an inch or so. I had a couple bunches of anacharis and each stalk has grown around 6 inches in around 2 weeks, with some growing more than that. I only added the corys last week though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
attheworld
  • Question
Replies
Views
Rachaeljuno