how long does it take to heat a 10g to 80?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by midthought, Mar 21, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Hello all. My 10g finished cycling -- my readings were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate -- so I put in my betta fish Chroma. He was in a little unheated bowl since coming back from the store (for which I had been doing diligent water changes everyday). He seemed relatively happy in the bowl lately; he started eating when he came home from the store and he even blew some bubbles.

In my relative rush to get him out of the bowl and into a real tank, I misread the thermometer in my 10g -- instead of 80 degrees, it was 70. This is despite the fact that I have a 50 watt Aqueon heater in there which at least looks like it's working (plugged in, light's on). It's definitely set for 80 degrees. I didn't realize that the water was so cool until today when I noticed that Chroma was starting to show signs of ich -- about 4 or 5 white dots on his fins (none on the body yet).

Well it's no wonder he's stressed and everything! 70 degrees! I went to increase the temp to 82, because I know heat helps with ich, and that's when I realized I was misreading my thermometer this entire time. I knew the water felt cold to the touch too. I feel stupid and bad about it. :( But whenever I go to touch the heater to see if it's on, it is and it's really hot to the touch. The water just doesn't seem to be getting warmer.

The heater's been going the evening of 3/18 and it's now afternoon of 3/21.

I don't know how long to let it keep going, but it seems like since the glass part of the heater, particularly toward the bottom, feels hot to the touch, it's not defective, right? I'm worried now because I know 70 is just way too low for him.

I have a 100 watt heater that I know works, but I don't want to put it in there without knowing what's going on with the 50w heater. Should I put it in just to get the temp up to 80-82 and then take it out and let the 50w just maintain the temp?

Attached are pics of Chroma in his old digs (unheated bowl) and new quarters (half a 10g tank, cycled, *supposedly* heated).

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

It should be up to 82F by now. The 50w should be able to handle the 10g tank.
    If it's not heating up to 82F then it won't maintain 82f it will just let it slowly go nack down.
    Carol

3. michael68Valued MemberMember

I had a similar aqueon heater.The degrees on the dial are not very accurate.What i did was put a t-stat on the opposite side of the tank from the heater and slowly turned the heater up.Just keep an eye on the temp until you get it where you want it.My betta is in a 20 gallon community tank and is doing well between 78 and 80 degrees.

4. OP
    OP
    midthought

That's what I thought. :( Argh.

I just checked and the temp is 74 now though. It's *as if* I nudged something on in the last hour or two, but I swear it was all plugged in and the light was orange days ago.

I'm going to keep an eye on it this afternoon, see if the temp continues to rise. If it remains bad in a few hours, I'll take it in for a return. I feel so bad for my fishy. :(

5. michael68Valued MemberMember

I would let your heater run at where it is and check it in the morning.If it is still at 74 turn it up another notch.See if it goes up and monitor it.If you feel it is defected bring it back and purchase another heater.My recomendation is a marineland stealth pro.Great heater so far!

6. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

The dial on my Aqueon thermometer is not accurate at all. I have to set it for 72 to get it to 82 and I have a 10 gallon as well.

7. OP
    OP
    midthought

Does it at least go up when you turn it in the appropriate direction though? Like you turn it to 76 and it heats to 86?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice