How Long Does It Take To Cycle A 3.5 Gallon Tank?

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, quick question to anyone available, how long does it take for a 3.5 gallon tank to cycle ? I’m moving one of my Bettas from a 1 gallon to a 3.5 gallon tank and I was wondering how long would it take for it to fully cycle.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Same as any other tank. 2-4 weeks.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on how you're cycling. TSS will cycle you in a week. Ammonia could take a month or so. A fish in cycle could be a month.

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
Same as any other tank. 2-4 weeks.
Even if there is a filter in it? And I can’t just put the filter cartridge in the new one ? Or can I use API quick start?

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
If you are moving your cycle (filter media) from a cycled tank to this tank your cycle will be almost instant but you may experience a minI cycle.
So what’s the best thing to do ? Just do it normally and let it cycle? Or something else

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you use TSS, it would take 14 days. If you don't use any bacteria supplement, then it could take 1-2 months.

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquatickeeper said:
If you use TSS, it would take 14 days. If you don't use any bacteria supplement, then it could take 1-2 months.
I don’t have tss would apI quick start work? Or no?

Adriifu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If the previous tank was cycled and you use the same filter media on the 3.5-gallon, then it will almost instantly cycle. If not, it'll take a month or so. I wouldn't suggest any chemicals other than Seachem Prime to dechlorinate.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've never used API Quick Start before, but I've heard that it's a bad product. I would go with TSS instead, if they have it at your local stores.

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay everyone is saying different stuff so its confusing me which is the right thing for me to do here?

Adriifu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alphafish98 said:
Okay everyone is saying different stuff so its confusing me which is the right thing for me to do here?
Is the media from the 1-gallon tank cycled? If it is, use it for the next tank and it will cycle almost immediately. If not, you'll need to start a new cycle.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alphafish98 said:
If you have cycled media from the one gallon, then you could add some of it to the 3 gallon. That would make your 3 gallon instantly cycled.

If you don't have any cycled media from the one gallon, then you're gonna have to start over again.

violetsasha

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I totally agree with aquatickeeper up here, and to add on, if the media is from an uncycled tank, I would only use Seachem prime and pure ammonia / fish food to cycle the tank.
I've never had any luck with other so called "quick start" products, and fish-in cycles sound too risky for me.

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
violetsasha said:
I totally agree with aquatickeeper up here, and to add on, if the media is from an uncycled tank, I would only use Seachem prime and pure ammonia / fish food to cycle the tank.
I've never had any luck with other so called "quick start" products, and fish-in cycles sound too risky for me.
Well thank you two for the great help appreciate it just wish I had this stuff in the future :/ and I just have the filter cartridge so no media unfortunately so I know what that means :/ ugh.

violetsasha

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alphafish98 said:
Well thank you two for the great help appreciate it just wish I had this stuff in the future :/ and I just have the filter cartridge so no media unfortunately so I know what that means :/ ugh.
When I started my 6 gal betta tank I used algae tablets. It took about 2/3 weeks to cycle through completely, and I really didn't have to do much. It's super hard to wait, I know that, but the payoff of watching a fish be so happy in their healthy new home is totally worth it.
How long has he been in the 1 gal? Was it cycled by chance? Hard to keep a good cycle in that small of a tank with only a single cartridge filter anyway.

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
violetsasha said:
When I started my 6 gal betta tank I used algae tablets. It took about 2/3 weeks to cycle through completely, and I really didn't have to do much. It's super hard to wait, I know that, but the payoff of watching a fish be so happy in their healthy new home is totally worth it.
How long has he been in the 1 gal? Was it cycled by chance? Hard to keep a good cycle in that small of a tank with only a single cartridge filter anyway.
He’s been in there since December so a few months. And no I was new at this hobby at first but I’ve learn a lot since then.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Alphafish98 said:
Do you have a filter on your 1 gallon tank? If yes. is the 1 gallon tank cycled? You say you only have a filter cartridge. Is that filter cartridge on/in your 1 gallon tank? That filter cartridge is considered media.

If your 1 gallon tank is cycled you can move the media (the filter cartridge) over to the filter on the bigger tank along with everything in the 1 gallon tank including the fish and you should have an instant cycle.

If the cartridge won't fit in the filter you have on your bigger tank cut the fiber off of it and put that fiber along with a new cartridge in the filter housing on your bigger tank.

OP
Alphafish98

Alphafish98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Do you have a filter on your 1 gallon tank? If yes. is the 1 gallon tank cycled? You say you only have a filter cartridge. Is that filter cartridge on/in your 1 gallon tank? That filter cartridge is considered media.

If your 1 gallon tank is cycled you can move the media (the filter cartridge) over to the filter on the bigger tank along with everything in the 1 gallon tank including the fish and you should have an instant cycle.

If the cartridge won't fit in the filter you have on your bigger tank cut the fiber off of it and put that fiber along with a new cartridge in the filter housing on your bigger tank.
Okay, yea I have a filter for the 1 gallon tank it’s made by top fin and there is a filter cartridge in it and the tank is cycled and I got my fish in it, and from what I looked at the filter cartridge from the 3.5 gallon is the same as the 1 gallon is. If that makes sense.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Alphafish98 said:
Okay, yea I have a filter for the 1 gallon tank it’s made by top fin and there is a filter cartridge in it and the tank is cycled and I got my fish in it, and from what I looked at the filter cartridge from the 3.5 gallon is the same as the 1 gallon is. If that makes sense.
Then you should be able to just move everything over to the bigger tank and you should have an instant cycle. Your fish and your cycle (bacteria) will just think they have had a big water change.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom