How long does it take for them to give birth??? Question 

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it might be happening!! My platy has been preggy for more then a month now and today I found her hiding in this log I have in the tank!! No fish really ever goes in there, and the fact she is so pregnant makes me think she is maybe having some babies in there...!!!!!
She has been in there a half hour straight so far, how long does it take before I should see some fry maybe? How long should I leave her in there before I should check on her?

Thanks!!!!!! <----- Very excited for baby fish!!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it sounds like she is getting ready to drop, it's hard to say because the signs they show vary depending on the fish, but in general they look like they do when they are stressed (skittish, hiding, hovering, erratic).

Depending on the tank conditions, spawning may take longer (or shorter) than the 30 day cycle, again, just depends on the fish. Just like other fish, they prefer to have optimal conditions for breeding/spawning, they are just a lot less picky than some of the egg layers.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I noticed that...it seems like it is taking forever!
I just put a little bit of flake food in like I normally do, and she came right out and started eating. She hasn't gone back in the log yet, she is just hiding in the corner behind a plant right now. She is over 30 days, and I am pretty sure she got pregnant in my tank.
I guess I will just have to keep an eye out...

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just re-read your post, are you saying that she can have babies (give birth to them) up to 30 days in a row?

I thought it was, like....I dunno, maybe a few hours and after that she's all done until the next time she is pregnant...

She is still just sitting in that log, I can't see what is going on because its so dark and tiny....So far though, no fry. :/

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads