How Long Does It Take For Tank To Mature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
R

RipCityReaper

Reaction score
Thank you this is all very helpful and also I can not add any fish till the 1st cycle is done or how does that work? Can bottom fish go in before the cycle is done or schooling fish like bleeding hearts or should I just wait before adding anything in? Lol sorry for the questions but I want to get this right so I dont lose that many or hopefully no fish at all. Thank you

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you this is all very helpful and also I can not add any fish till the 1st cycle is done or how does that work? Can bottom fish go in before the cycle is done or schooling fish like bleeding hearts or should I just wait before adding anything in? Lol sorry for the questions but I want to get this right so I dont lose that many or hopefully no fish at all. Thank you
Wait until your cycle is complete before adding any fish or invertebrate.
If you add them before the cycle is complete you run the risk of killing them by poisoning them with high ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Some people do do fish-in cycles, but it's not recommended for the health of the fish and you have to do much more frequent/larger water changes

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't put in any fish or invertebrates until the tank is definitely fully cycled.
I would definitely recommend a fishless cycle over a fish in cycle, especially for a beginner.

Also just curious why you said 1st cycle? You only need to cycle the filter once.
@fjh I've always cycled with Zebra Danios. They can handle the chemical changes. But you are correct, you do have to be diligent with your water changes.
Maybe my zebra danios were just weak but one of my tanks went through a mini cycle and no fish died (platies, guppies, WCMM) apart from the zebra danios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.2%

Top Bottom