How long does it take for shrimp eggs to hatch?

bumblinBee
I have two berried ghost shrimp, and I'm hoping to get a colony of them going in my community tank (I know this can be a challenge, since just about everything will go after shrimplets). Yesterday I spotted a very tiny ghost shrimplet munching away, and so I looked around to see which of my berried females had hatched their clutch. It seems both of my females still have most of their eggs though, so I'm wondering how long it takes for every egg to hatch. I haven't seen any other shrimplets since the first, and neither female looks any less heavy with eggs, so was that shrimplet just a very early hatch or does it just take a few days for all the eggs to hatch?

JLAquatics
Well hello there again! I do know that Females will carry 20 to 30 eggs at a time and it can take up to three weeks to hatch. Note that Ghost Shrimp babies hatch into larvae instead of miniature adults like Cherry Shrimp and are very difficult to raise in a community aquarium. They also need special foods as well and will remain suspended in the water until they get out of this larval stage. What else do you have in the tank with the Shrimplets?

bumblinBee
JLAquatics said:
Well hello there again! I do know that Females will carry 20 to 30 eggs at a time and it can take up to three weeks to hatch. Note that Ghost Shrimp babies hatch into larvae instead of miniature adults like Cherry Shrimp and are very difficult to raise in a community aquarium. They also need special foods as well and will remain suspended in the water until they get out of this larval stage. What else do you have in the tank with the Shrimplets?
Hahah hey there! I've got a school of glowlight tetras, and a betta. The betta is an extremely picky eater, and has shown 0 interest in any of his tank mates. He refuses to hunt live baby brine shrimp, so I'm really not worried about him going after the shrimplets. The glowlights might go after them, but I don't think they'll be much of a problem either. They stay midwater and won't go after food if it's near the bottom of the tank.

Doesn't look like he was in a larval stage when I snagged this photo, unfortunately the quality is uhh, quite awful haha. But he looks like a miniature shrimp to me, do you know how long they stay in the larval stage?

JLAquatics
Yeah, that is not a larva anymore. However, Ghost Shrimp typically stay in the larval form for 5-10 days after hatching and then metamorphize into miniature adults, all depending on the temperature. Higher temperatures mean faster growth rates.

bumblinBee
JLAquatics said:
Yeah, that is not a larva anymore. However, Ghost Shrimp typically stay in the larval form for 5-10 days after hatching and then metamorphize into miniature adults, all depending on the temperature. Higher temperatures mean faster growth rates.
That's very interesting, thank you, I didn't know that. If it's been at least 5 days since he hatched, since he's already past the larval stage, then that means that he's at least 5 days earlier than all the other eggs that I can still see on both berried females! I figured all the eggs would progress from eggs into shrimplets at roughly the same time, you know, give or take a few hours. But wow, thats quite a lot of time! A week give or take! Amazing!

Top Bottom